Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Diffuser for 3s

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    FYI- the mounts have holes for bolts. What I did was tap the holes with M10 tap to accept M10 stainless button head bolts. The diffuser mounts directly to those. Make sure they are all flat to the surface of the diffuser.
    Bravo25 likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    Canada
    Thank you again. I will post pictures when it is complete.
    Bravo25 likes this.
    Ariel Atom SRA #49 - Honda House - Grand Bend Raceway - Ontario Canada - Born 1949

Fermion
    Country
    Canada

Cool

Testing starts May 5th at Grand Bend Raceway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ariel Atom SRA #49 - Honda House - Grand Bend Raceway - Ontario Canada - Born 1949

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS26 View Post
    Yes they can make more. Local metal fabricator here in California. May not be cost effective to ship up to Canada though.
    Quite simple actually, 3 bends after you cut out the pattern from 1/8 inch aluminum.
    Where in Cali is the shop? I get out that way sometimes and would like to add a diffuser to my SRA. And add a flat bottom, as well. In fact, it may be easier for me to make my own diffuser if I can get the pattern from the shop. Do you have any idea if they'll just sell me the pattern?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Atom View Post
    Where in Cali is the shop? I get out that way sometimes and would like to add a diffuser to my SRA. And add a flat bottom, as well. In fact, it may be easier for me to make my own diffuser if I can get the pattern from the shop. Do you have any idea if they'll just sell me the pattern?
    You don't believe that "diffuser" is actually doing anything, do you?

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sector: 4 View Post
    You don't believe that "diffuser" is actually doing anything, do you?
    I don't know and unless you conducted some testing, neither do you. But I do know that our SRAs are aero disasters and cleaning up the air moving under the car sure can't hurt anything. That's why I coupled the diffuser with a flat bottom install. None of which will fix the aero problems completely, or come even close to doing so. But if cleaning up the undercar airflow results in a 1 or 2 mph increase in top speed, it will reduce lap times by a noticeable amount. Out of curiosity, how much racing or aerodynamics training do you do to have to back up such a firm opinion?

And Elliot's post says he was going to do some testing that should have occurred by now so what he found out may educate both of us. Elliot? Any test results to talk about?

Country
    United States
    I don't know and unless you conducted some testing, neither do you...

Out of curiosity, how much racing or aerodynamics training do you do to have to back up such a firm opinion?
    Ouch! Lol. Do you need to test a square tire to know it won't work? I don't.

Well, I studied aerodynamics in college under the late Dr. Peter Lissamin of Aerovironment fame...

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/pasa...&preview=false

I've also further educated myself in racing car aerodynamics. Believe it or not, anybody who knows the FIRST thing about ground effects aerodynamics can tell just by looking at a pic that the thing tacked on the back of the car is purely ornamental. You'll have to take my word for it.

Diffusers have to be very carefully designed to avoid flow separation (the bottom of the car needs to be curved like an aerofoil), they need to be properly designed as an expansion chamber for a venturi, with side walls that skim the pavement to minimize air leakage, and they need to be run within a carefully-controlled range of distance from the ground. Downforce isn't generated just by tacking something that resembles a diffuser onto the last few inches of a flat-bottomed car, lmao!

Before you embarrass yourself further on here, I suggest you read a beginner's book on racing car aerodynamics such as "Competition Car Downforce" by Simon McBeath and get a clue. Then spend some time examining the tunnels on some REAL racing cars like Indy, F1 and GTP cars. Then look at the pics again and have a good laugh.
    Last edited by sector: 4; August 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States

Ion
    Country
    United States
    sector: 4, let's just say that I hope to meet you on track one day.

Country
    United States
    sector: 4, let's just say that I hope to meet you on track one day.
    Pfft.

You'd better figure out how to get a diffuser working. Otherwise I'll just spank you twice, lmao!
    Last edited by sector: 4; August 20, 2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Atommatt likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast