Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dbwy
  • 1 Post By 06Arielatom

Thread: Atom 3R vs. 3S

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Atom 3R vs. 3S

Has anyone had a chance to drive both the K20 supercharged with 300hp vs. the K24 turbocharged with 365hp? I'm considering one vs. the other and am curious as to people's opinion of the two. They brought back the 2012 K20 for a limited run of 10 supercharged vehicles in 2017 so I'm assuming that is a nice setup, but they are continuing to go with the turbocharged K24 as their bread and butter?

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have a 3r. I haven't driven a 3s, but I previously had a k24 supercharged Atom. I absolutely love the 3r with the high revving k20. I prefer it over the k24. You should contact Franz Foreman. He has a personal 3s, and he has experience with the 3r. Other than contacting somebody at TMI, Franz is probably one of the few that have experience with both.
    06Arielatom likes this.

Country
    United States
    I doubt there are more than a handful of people who have driven both. The big question to me is how is the turbo executed? Does it have lag? If so, I just don't think it's a good idea. The car is so light it's very sensitive to throttle inputs even NA. There are a few modern cars with trick anti-lag. The 3R is going to be as good as you'd expect, the 3S has to be experienced. See if TMI will let you beat one around the track.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I did the 3s conversion to my 2 and it does not feel like it has any lag. I think they choose the proper sized turbocharger for the setup. It's a blast to drive from 1-4th gear.
    cvjoint likes this.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    The run of 10 supercharged k20 engines sold before production. Is that because of the limited run and folks wanted something unique or the higher reviving k20 is that much better than the k24? Anyone with the 3S k24 turbo have any input?

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I have the 3s. I also was looking at the 3r. From talking with Franz Forman and other reviews, the R pulls similarly off the line but needs more revs and revs a bit higher. The S has a much wider power band comparatively and more torque and is faster. Compare say 2 stroke motorcycles....125 v a 250! I don't notice any turbo lag on my S.

Country
    United States
    K20 does have variable lift on the exhaust valves whereas the K24 does not. The K20 also has a better flowing header. K24 has more displacement but the head is inferior. To get the best that the Honda K has to offer folks usually combine the K24 bottom with the K20 head.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Actually, it looks like Franz still has one 3r for sale.

ejo
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    K20 does have variable lift on the exhaust valves whereas the K24 does not. The K20 also has a better flowing header. K24 has more displacement but the head is inferior. To get the best that the Honda K has to offer folks usually combine the K24 bottom with the K20 head.
    This x10. Best of both worlds.