Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sector: 4

Thread: frame cross member paint

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States

frame cross member paint

I recently purchased a 2006 Atom and I noticed that the powder coat paint on the frame cross member under the exhaust was in bad shape. It obviously was a result of the numerous excessive heat cycles that it had experienced. My Atom had been enjoyed by its previous owners (has ~40K miles). I hadn't noticed the paint issue at first since it was behind the muffler. I was curious first to know if others had observed this (I am assuming several of you have) and second what did you do to correct it and prevent it from happening again. Lastly has anyone heard of the cross member failing due to the prolonged exposure to the heat? I am strictly a sunny day road driver with no plans to track my Atom.

Country
    United States
    "the powder coat paint on the frame cross member under the exhaust was in bad shape"

What does this mean? Can you describe it? Post a pic!

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    thanks for the reply. I am out of town right now but will post a pic when I return. The paint is no longer nice and smooth and shiny. With the constant heat it has changed the color from the nice silvery gray color to a darken brown and the surface now looks very rough like it is covered in sand. I hadn't noticed it since it was under the license plate mounting bracket.

Country
    United States
    I have a 2006 also, but that's different from my paint issue. Mine has what look like little cuts in the clear coat. I thought it was due to heat, but it's on the side of the car too, so heat can't be the cause. Apart from this, mine looks great - nothing like what you describe. I have a Sector 111 exhaust and only around 4500 miles.

There are many different exhausts on these cars. It's possible that your issue was due to a previously-fitted exhaust system or cat, but if your current exhaust is causing this, you could fabricate a heat shield, revise the exhaust, or you could wrap the frame and/or the exhaust with fiberglass exhaust wrap.

Yes, the tube could be weakened locally with enough heat, but any weakening is unlikely to be noticed unless it's pretty severe since the tube is well braced to other tubes via the license plate bracket. I'd be a bit concerned about rust.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sector: 4; November 23, 2017 at 11:44 PM.

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. I just got back in town and was able to shoot the attached photos. Clearly this is a heat related issue. Curious to know if anyone else has had this big of an issue.
    20171126_090945.jpg
    20171126_091011.jpg

Country
    United States
    That exhaust is a bit close to the frame, but I'm surprised that that exhaust pipe could generate that much heat unless maybe it was used as a racing car or spent it's whole life doing dyno runs or something. Wow! Was there a turbo or a cat on there at one time? (crickets) The whole frame looks dark. Was it painted that color? (crickets)
    Last edited by sector: 4; April 17, 2018 at 05:22 PM.
    06Arielatom likes this.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by rags1986 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I just got back in town and was able to shoot the attached photos. Clearly this is a heat related issue. Curious to know if anyone else has had this big of an issue.
    20171126_090945.jpg
    20171126_091011.jpg
    I have the Atom 2 and the same exhaust but it was not that close to the rear frame like yours. Was the exhaust modified by someone else? Can you post a side picture please.

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    sorry I havent posted an update. I just got my car back recently as it was in the shop most of the winter getting worked on in their spare time. I had the cross member sanded and painted and then wrapped with a heat shield. I also had the header and muffler ceramic coated to reduce the radiant heat. Looks much better. I have been trying to upload a photo today but I keep getting an error message from the web site. Not sure if the file is too large? only 5MB. I will get it posted once I figure it out.

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    20180327_114534a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Up Quark
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    20180327_114534b.jpg
    apparently my file was too large.