Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 2/3rdsCobra
  • 1 Post By Lane

Thread: Heat exchanger replacement

Country
    United States

Heat exchanger replacement

I'm looking at using an ATV radiator for use to replace the supercharger after cooler that looks like an older B&M trans cooler. Has anyone does this and if so, which radiator core did you use?

Electron
    Country
    United States
    DDMworks has an upgraded heat exchanger on their site. They want $950.00 for it though.

Country
    United States
    Saw that, not on your life. $950.00, lol. I can get a AVT unit, cut the end tanks and make it a twin pass for half that and it will be more efficient.
    06Arielatom likes this.

Country
    United States
    I'll assume you're talking about the supercharged Ecotec Atom 2.

My IAT2 temps were too high so I decided to upgrade this area as well. I had a 2-row, 2-pass fabricated that was the largest size that I could get into that opening.

Having bleed screws at two locations on the new aftercooler revealed how much air makes its way into that thing over time that is otherwise impossible to get out. That has to have a huge negative impact on performance. In fact, my stock unit was almost empty when I removed it, even though the system's sight glass showed a full coolant level.

I haven't spent a lot of time on the track since this upgrade, but it doesn't appear to have made a dramtic effect on temps. That leads me to believe that its size/construction is not the limiting factor in the cooling system. I'd be willing to bet that lack of airflow is though. There are a few vendors selling replacement aftercoolers that go upright in the roll hoop and get direct airflow and that may be worth considering instead. I gave this route a try because I didn't want to relocate the air filter. The sound of the supercharger from that location at WOT is one of the things I enjoy most about the car. If I recall correctly, this custom fabbed unit ran around $350 to have made.

I do have two more upgrades in this area lined up (parts are bought, just haven't had the motivation to install them yet). I have a modified intake manifold that's a single pass, modified to have coolant enter one side, go through all 4 laminova tubes in parallel, and exit the opposite side of the manifold without traveling through it again. I also have an overflow tank which will replace the sight glass and provide a bit more capacity to the cooling system. Plus, I upgraded the coolant pump long ago as well with one from a Ford Lightning. I think the one that comes on these cars from Brammo might be a repurposed pump from a marine application and not intended for the current use.

Pics of all this are in my website's gallery here (photos start near the end of this first album page). There are a lot of photos of other upgrades I've made to the car over the years on my site as well.
    06Arielatom likes this.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I'll assume you're talking about the supercharged Ecotec Atom 2.

My IAT2 temps were too high so I decided to upgrade this area as well. I had a 2-row, 2-pass fabricated that was the largest size that I could get into that opening.

Having bleed screws at two locations on the new aftercooler revealed how much air makes its way into that thing over time that is otherwise impossible to get out. That has to have a huge negative impact on performance. In fact, my stock unit was almost empty when I removed it, even though the system's sight glass showed a full coolant level.

I haven't spent a lot of time on the track since this upgrade, but it doesn't appear to have made a dramtic effect on temps. That leads me to believe that its size/construction is not the limiting factor in the cooling system. I'd be willing to bet that lack of airflow is though. There are a few vendors selling replacement aftercoolers that go upright in the roll hoop and get direct airflow and that may be worth considering instead. I gave this route a try because I didn't want to relocate the air filter. The sound of the supercharger from that location at WOT is one of the things I enjoy most about the car. If I recall correctly, this custom fabbed unit ran around $350 to have made.

I do have two more upgrades in this area lined up (parts are bought, just haven't had the motivation to install them yet). I have a modified intake manifold that's a single pass, modified to have coolant enter one side, go through all 4 laminova tubes in parallel, and exit the opposite side of the manifold without traveling through it again. I also have an overflow tank which will replace the sight glass and provide a bit more capacity to the cooling system. Plus, I upgraded the coolant pump long ago as well with one from a Ford Lightning. I think the one that comes on these cars from Brammo might be a repurposed pump from a marine application and not intended for the current use.

Pics of all this are in my website's gallery here (photos start near the end of this first album page). There are a lot of photos of other upgrades I've made to the car over the years on my site as well.
    I'm definitely interested on where you had the heat exchanger fab'ed. I haven't settled on where I'm going to have it made so going through your source will make it much easier. I'm also getting rid of the dexcool/water medium and just going with Redline water wetter and distilled water. Should help with heat transfer a bit better and still deal with any corrosion/electrolysis the system may see.

Country
    United States
    Ellis Racing fabricated it based on dimensions/specs I provided. I couldn't be happier with the quality of the work and the price. He did everything except for the brackets. I positioned it in the opening to determine the final position of the brackets, and then welded them on. Mocking it up to its actual dimenions in cardboard first is a necessity, including the inlet/outlet tubes on the bottom and any brackets. There looks to be plenty of space in its final resting position, but getting past everything to get it there requires very careful sizing.
    Last edited by Lane; September 10, 2017 at 01:16 AM.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Awesome, thanks for the link. It's appreciated.