Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Registering Atom in CA from out of state

Down Quark
    Country
    United States

Registering Atom in CA from out of state

Has anyone bought a street legal Atom registerd out of the state of California, and then had any success registering it in California- also as a street legal vehicle? I'm hearing conflicting information.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Yes, SB100. You need to do this with any special construction vehicle brought in. Did it with the Rossion, no issues.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    So the rumor that once an Atom is registered in another state , it cannot be registered in CA under the SB100 rule isn't true? I'm wanting to register it in another state for at least a year or two- preferably Montana, then transfer it into CA at a lower tax base later. I was told that once I register it out of state, it makes the car ineligible for the SB 100 process in California. However, just today I spoke with someone on the phone at the BAR, and although they said they cannot guarantee it, they have seen cars come from out of state who were allowed the CA SB100 process.
    My goal is to end up with a California registered car through the SB 100 process.
    How confident are you this can be done ?
    Appreciate your input. ( you might be the person Franz was referring to earlier last week in our conversation regarding this topic ).

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I don't have personal experience but I'm 99% sure the "can't register a car under the SB100 exemption if its already registered in another state" thing is just a dirty sales tactics to drive up the value of SB100 cars when selling. I recall reading posts about it being done before by the person claiming to have done it (maybe not on here, but other forums).

I'm confident it can be done. I wouldn't rule out previously registered non-SB100 cars. My disclaimer is that I'm in Texas and not California though.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    It can be done! I purchased a used Rossion out of state that was already registered and titled.
    I secured the SB100 number and re registered it here in CA. It's basically the same process as if you had a new vehicle.
    Currently, I purchased a 3s already registered in AZ. I have transferred ownership to my name in AZ and will be registering it here in CA eventually using the SB100.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated !

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by WJS26 View Post
    It can be done! I purchased a used Rossion out of state that was already registered and titled.
    I secured the SB100 number and re registered it here in CA. It's basically the same process as if you had a new vehicle.
    Currently, I purchased a 3s already registered in AZ. I have transferred ownership to my name in AZ and will be registering it here in CA eventually using the SB100.
    Sounds good. Appreciate the info. I almost bought the car that you just purchased. It's an excellent vehicle.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Turbo Pete- Thanks. I have been doing some minor updates to the car to include some seat padding and minor wing adjustments.
    Let me know when you get your car. We can meet up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    06Arielatom likes this.

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Funny I talked to franz and he mentioned you to me as well because I want to do the same. Buy a out of state atom and bring it over as sb100. I actually currently drive a noble that is sb100. It was registered in Vermont I think for 8 years and then brought to CA and registered as sb100. However it was done by the previous owner who sold it to me right after doing the whole process so I don't know how it works 100%. I do know you need the original paper work with frame serial numbers etc so I think if you can retain ALL the original paper work it seems possible. Funny we were all looking at the same car with the same idea.

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Wjs26 did you previously own a lotus or noble. I feel like I remember you from another forum. Just curious how happy you are with the atom compared to the Rossion or lotus. I may have to sell the noble if I get a 3s and wondering if it's worth it.

Also so is anyone aware of how many slots out of the 500 are still up for grabs right now in CA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast