Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fender Repair Questions

Fender Repair Questions

Hey Guys,

Did a quick search but didn't find an answer to my problem. Has anyone done a repair on the fenders of their Atom? My rear fenders are both starting to disbond (fenders are separating from the rods) pretty badly...most likely due to the adhesive simply getting old and brittle. Looking for insight into addressing this before they break off one day while I'm driving

Thanks,

Chris
    Last edited by 4rings; April 28, 2017 at 02:50 PM.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    Over here we have used 3M windshield urethane adhesive to bond the fenders to the support rods
    3M™ Auto Glass Urethane Windshield Adhesive | 3M United States
    the high profile toy thrower

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    I just made this repair last week. The RR fender became completely delaminated from the rods and was flapping around. It previously had the window adhesive so I went a different route. It took more effort, but i fiberglassed the rods to the fender. I lightly sanded the underside of the fenders about 6" on either side of the rod then laid 6-8 4"x10" strips of glass about across the rod. Seems to be holding so far, but time will tell.

fender.jpg
    It's Better to Burn out than Fade Away

Thanks for the heads up guys! Always nice having a weekend project for the Atom!

Cheers,

Chris

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Did you prep the surface so the Window Weld will bond properly?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmac View Post
    Did you prep the surface so the Window Weld will bond properly?
    <OT>Mac, I am about to glue my printed fenders onto some stays. They are PETG, do you know if that surface prep works for that as well?</OT>

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    IMAG0379.jpg

This is what I did with mine, epoxy resin and fiber glass . No problems as of yet.
    Last edited by Atommatt; May 3, 2017 at 06:59 AM.

What a pain it is getting the fenders off!

Can anyone confirm if the best way is to do so (once the wheels are off, emergency brake cables have been disconnected and the two bolts that go into the fender plate have been removed) is to remove the top allen key bolt (I don't remember what size it is but it is quite large) that goes down into the upright and connects to the upper control arms? Based on what I've been able to find the torque spec for that bolt appears to be something like 55Nm (40ft-lbs)

Cheers,

Chris

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rings View Post
    What a pain it is getting the fenders off!

Can anyone confirm if the best way is to do so (once the wheels are off, emergency brake cables have been disconnected and the two bolts that go into the fender plate have been removed) is to remove the top allen key bolt (I don't remember what size it is but it is quite large) that goes down into the upright and connects to the upper control arms? Based on what I've been able to find the torque spec for that bolt appears to be something like 55Nm (40ft-lbs)

Cheers,

Chris
    That is the correct process; note that the rodend bolt should be torqued to 88 ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse@tmi View Post
    That is the correct process; note that the rodend bolt should be torqued to 88 ft/lbs.
    Jesse,

Thanks for the heads up! I ended up just adding additional adhesive without fully removing the fenders. (we'll see how long that holds up for) Has the design of the fender mounting plate since changed or is it still the same as on my '11?

Thanks,

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast