Thread: $55k 2009 Original-Owner Honda K20 Atom 3

2009 Atom 3

Decided not to sell. Thanks for everyone's interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by timcking; November 15, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Do you have any pictures?

Here you go. Thanks for the interest.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    I would be interested in its horse power figures. specifically engine details of modifications
    effecting the performance. Assume no supercharger or Turbo Boost. Have you any
    tract figures? Take me straight Im ready to drop CASH.

--Mark
    PM for cell comm.

HP Follow-up

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    I would be interested in its horse power figures. specifically engine details of modifications
    effecting the performance. Assume no supercharger or Turbo Boost. Have you any
    tract figures? Take me straight Im ready to drop CASH.

--Mark
    PM for cell comm.
    You're right; it has no supercharger or turbo. The gain is solely from tuning resulting from replacing the OEM ECU to make it smog legal. The original Hondata unit was replaced with a K-Pro unit from the same source. This was done by a certified Hondata technician. He based the tuning on 91 octane fuel. I believe I have a chassis dyno printout showing 227 hp at essentially sea level in Sacramento. Before this modification, the OEM ECU produced 202 hp as a benchmark. If you take the same percentage hp loss for the originally claimed 245 hp, and apply it to the 227 hp, you get just over 270 hp. Coincidentially this is what the naturally-aspirated limited edition Mugen model claims. I'd bet they did exactly the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Tim, I think you are exactly correct. I have had three 2.0 Honda engines professionally tuned on a chassis dyno using KPro. All three(K20A--DC5, K20A--EP3, K20A2--RSX Type S) engines registered between 197 and 207hp on the dyno as corrected baseline runs.

All three engines gained as a result of custom tuning on 93 octane pump gas:
    228hp--Kpro tune and RBC intake
    231HP--KPro tune, RBC intake, 66mm throttle body
    241--KPro tune, RBC intake, 4-2-1 exhaust header, Drag Cartel DIC's, RDX injectors, 66mm throttle body(this engine actually made 247 hp at peak tune, but was "detuned" to 241hp in order to get 12 additional lb/ft of torque, enhancing drivability.)

I think the numbers you listed are spot on....

If you go to the KPro forums you can see dozens/hundreds of examples of such tuning.

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by timcking View Post
    You're right; it has no supercharger or turbo. The gain is solely from tuning resulting from replacing the OEM ECU to make it smog legal. The original Hondata unit was replaced with a K-Pro unit from the same source. This was done by a certified Hondata technician. He based the tuning on 91 octane fuel. I believe I have a chassis dyno printout showing 227 hp at essentially sea level in Sacramento. Before this modification, the OEM ECU produced 202 hp as a benchmark. If you take the same percentage hp loss for the originally claimed 245 hp, and apply it to the 227 hp, you get just over 270 hp. Coincidentially this is what the naturally-aspirated limited edition Mugen model claims. I'd bet they did exactly the same.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim
    Last edited by jeff8407; October 16, 2017 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks

Thanks Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff8407 View Post
    Tim, I think you are exactly correct. I have had three 2.0 Honda engines professionally tuned on a chassis dyno using KPro. All three(K20A--DC5, K20A--EP3, K20A2--RSX Type S) engines registered between 197 and 207hp on the dyno as corrected baseline runs.

All three engines gained as a result of custom tuning on 93 octane pump gas:
    228hp--Kpro tune and RBC intake
    231HP--KPro tune, RBC intake, 66mm throttle body
    241--KPro tune, RBC intake, 4-2-1 exhaust header, Drag Cartel DIC's, RDX injectors, 66mm throttle body(this engine actually made 247 hp at peak tune, but was "detuned" to 241hp in order to get 12 additional lb/ft of torque, enhancing drivability.)

I think the numbers you listed are spot on....

If you go to the KPro forums you can see dozens/hundreds of examples of such tuning.

jeff