Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: World's first four second quarter mile run happened 29 years ago today - I was there

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I think this forum name needs to be changed to Eddie Hill Ariel Atom Chat or "Look AT ME AND WHAT I OWN " Because this is getting ridiculous, Who cares about a 4 sec quarter mile, 29 years ago ....... really. And who cares that you own 42 Atoms, GT 40's, trucks, A new Mercedes that does BLAH BLAH BLAH and If your head was any bigger you would float away. Why don't you create something for an Atom or do something different that nobody has done before ????? In stead of bragging about what you have "ALL THE TIME ". I think that your driving people away from this forum. I know I'm tired of every time I log into this forum all I ever see is look what I have," Look at Me". It's gotten to be old Please give it a break, " Please" With all the knowledge of motorsports, racing and so on, Make or do something different with the Atom.

Country
    United States
    I care. A lot. Eddie Hill is one of my life heroes. He has done more innovating in motorsports than you can obviously comprehend. He did things with bits and pieces that had never been done before. On land,water..and two wheels. Not only did he build all his own early cars,but he drove them as well,to elapsed times unheard of. He set many records. His race team is one of the most respected of all times in drag racing. Just ask any other competitor in the field,both past and present. It wasn't about money or fame either...it was about creative ingenuity,determination and a passion to be the best at a sport he loves. All you have to do is Google Eddie Hill and the list of his accomplishments will embarrass you into retracting your asinine rant.
    If you can't find it in yourself to respect such an incredibly talented man and family...the least you could do is refrain from being such a self centered jackass in public.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Everyone needs a hero I guess. I know he has done a lot for motor sports Because he post it every other day on this forum to let everyone know. Again ..... Really. That's my problem. I do respect what's been done in the past and what he continues to do , but does it have to be thrown in everyone face? Everyone don't need to hear how great someone is time and time again. We all know he is good at what he does, (applause) I come to this forum day after day for years looking for cool things and new Ideas. Cool shit that's you've done to your car, Stuff that's been done to BK's car and anyone else for that matter. Not looking to see someone posting "look what I got" kind of shit. As far a being self centered ....um I don't think so. You sure don't have a problem voicing your opinion on selected matters, sooo that's what I did. If your offended by it..... sorry. End of my rant!!

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Whats under the cover (in front of the Merc in post #8)?

That looks like a scary ride in post #9, hope you boxed those rails! Why are the zoomies so long in post #6?

Matt, I'm happy for anyone that has worked hard, had success, and is able to afford / enjoy things that may be beyond my reach. I don't get the slightest impression of gloating from Eddie.

Country
    United States
    He was a pioneer and I am with MadMax on that one, if you don't want to read about him and his life, ... don't. I actually would like a thread about the Ultima he bought from Craig Bramscher as that appears to be a well built one.
    Last edited by Norm; April 11, 2017 at 02:16 PM.

Country
    United States
    I have met Eddie and trade emails even though I no longer own an Atom. Eddie and his wife are both very genuine nice people. He has no qualms admitting that he is truly blessed to be in the position that he is and the life he lived.

They are are both very personable and truly hospitable. It is unfortunate that your opinion is so off from what you would likely conclude if you actually met them in person.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Eddie, I too want to know: Whats under the cover (in front of the Merc in post #8)?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    So simple..all about function. You'd get your left arm rubbed pretty easily if you weren't careful! Looks like an aluminum frame. Just amazing.
    Those are aluminum H beams for just the lower frame rails. That #9 post is very early in my build, before I added the steel upper frame rails, using the engine as a stressed member, as you can see here. In this configuration it was the world's quickest and fastest unblown gas dragster.

Then later I added a blower, (and larger front wheels and better roll bar protection, at the urging of NHRA)

In this configuration, I dropped the NHRA record from Jim Nelson's 9.40, to my 8.84 ET.

THANK YOU Max, CR500,Norm,Atomvik, and Jeff for your positive comments!

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
    MadMaxAtom likes this.
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CR500 View Post
    Whats under the cover (in front of the Merc in post #8)?

That looks like a scary ride in post #9, hope you boxed those rails! Why are the zoomies so long in post #6?

Matt, I'm happy for anyone that has worked hard, had success, and is able to afford / enjoy things that may be beyond my reach. I don't get the slightest impression of gloating from Eddie.
    Under the cover is a Ford GT, Heritage edition. Ten years ago I traded a real Lola T-70 coupe for the GT, Ultima Can-Am, and my first Ariel Atom #72.

Scary ride in post #9--it was a long way from being finished in that shot with my wife and daughter. When I finished it as you can see in the later shots, using the engine as a stressed member, it was probably the strongest car out there, even though at a total weight of 1095 pounds (at its lightest, without the blower) it was by far the lightest car running. Kinda like the Atoms, and why the Atoms are so dear to my heart, so very light and efficient. When you realize that this engine was Iron block and iron heads- a LONG time before aluminum heads and blocks, you realize the car, less engine, was a real featherweight.

Long zoomies- I read every book and article I could find about exhaust tuning. I was convinced that the exhaust pulse/plug racing down the pipe had a low pressure area right behind it, due to inertia, and that if the pipes were the right length, that low pressure (partial vacuum) would really help to get all the burnt gas out, and get more new fuel/air in the cylinder, if the vacuum was highest during the camshaft overlap when the exhaust valve and the intake valve are open at the same time. Kinda like a mild supercharge effect. But I suspect a lot of those long pipes were built that way because there were some cars running good with long pipes, Monkey see, Monkey do.

Cheers,

Eddie FourFather Hill
    MadMaxAtom likes this.
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Ion
    Country
    United States
    I was there with my fiancÚ and current wife, Very Cool Day

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12