Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Upgrade from stock tires

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Upgrade from stock tires

This forum has a lot of info on tires where this topic has been heavily discussed. My atom came with -> WHEELS: 5-Spoke race motorsport wheels 15 x 7 TIRES: Yokohama S.drive Front: 195/50/15 Rear: 205/55/15. I'm looking to improve grip. So, I was wondering if anyone has experience with upgrading stock tires to wider sizes without changing fenders and fender stays. Is this even possible?

This is a nice handy-dandy size calculator: https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Electron
    Country
    United States
    The fenders will need to be raised to the max hight and a little modification need to be done but I have 205/50/15 front and 245/45/16 rear under stock fenders.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Did you raise the fenders in the front? What is the "little modification"?

Quote Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
    The fenders will need to be raised to the max hight and a little modification need to be done but I have 205/50/15 front and 245/45/16 rear under stock fenders.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    The fender support has slots for mounting, the slots need to be ground to be about 1/2" longer. The folder over lip of the fender also need to be ground off some to clear the tire from rubbing.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    here's what I'm thinking of upgrading to with Toyo R888s. Fronts: 225/45/15 which makes the tire radius about 0.15" (4 mm) bigger and rears: 235/50/15 which make the tire radius about 0.2" (5mm) bigger. Width wise they are considerably wider (from the 195 and 205s)!
    Last edited by atomvik; December 1, 2016 at 07:36 AM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Question: What are the cons of installing the same width tyres on all four wheels?

Country
    United States
    If you find the right tires,absolutely nothing.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    the atom is similar to formula cars in many ways, what I find is that a majority of the time, the slip occurs first in the rear, especially upon corner exit where you want to apply power. As such, all formula cars have much much wider rear tires as compared to the front (look at any F1, F3, Indy etc.). When I changed from stock to the 245 in the rear I can apply much more power to exit corners than before. I went back to do a comparison, and realized that the rear of the atom (300+hp) should be 265 and the 500 v8 version should be 295 to fully realize the potential. But for some, the sliding around is part of the fun.
    atomvik likes this.

Country
    United States
    If the tire does not come up to proper operating temperature, it doesn't matter how wide it is; there will be poor grip.
    Tires are also fussy about alignment specifications,spring rates,damper settings, tire pressures and driving techniques..so what works for one car/driver may not work as well for another.
    There really is no "one tire fits all" solution for any car. If you are required to run a specific tire (spec classes) that pretty much settles the choice..and all that is left is for you to optimize your car and technique to that tire.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; January 25, 2017 at 04:33 PM.
    atomvik likes this.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    What's your setup madmax

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast