• 1 Post By Jeff_Kay
  • 1 Post By MadMaxAtom

Thread: A7's for street use?

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States

A7's for street use?

Anyone run Hoosier A7's for street use? I have the R888's and don't love them. Not tracking the car hardly at all these days but i would like a stickier tire for those spirited blasts.

JD

Country
    United States
    One problem with A7s or R7s..or most any Hoosier tire for that matter... is they mysteriously lose air...sometimes 2-3lbs per day,sometimes more! This is with new tires on new rims.It has happened to me since I started using them over 10 years ago.One piece wheels,3 piece wheels..doesn't matter. Hoosiers are the only tire I have ever used that do this.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    R7s need to warm up or they are worse then a cheap street tire. They are designed that way. A7s are a bit better but still need heat. Best choice is probably an NT01 or Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R.
    David Wilson likes this.

Particle
    Has anyone ran Kumho tires on their Ariel?

I also want good tires for my street driving and hopefully some autocross events this next year.

Country
    United States
    I ran V710 Kumhos front and rear with better autocross success than the stock Yoko 048s, but they would never approach a temperature where they would be most sticky,even after back to back to back runs. The problem is 99.99% of all tires are made for heavier cars and will not reach the 165f-180f degree mark where they will work best. The only tire I have found that will reach optimum temp (maximum grip) are the FA tires that Hoosier makes,and they are not DOT tires.
    David Wilson likes this.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Best I was able to achieve was 125 deg on the tire after a session. to get it any higher you would have to spend the first 5 laps drifting around every corner.

I've run A-7s on the street since last year. No problems. I do have one that loses air, but it's either the wheel or valve stem, since it did so with the two previous tires. I haven't gotten serious about finding the source of the leak.

The A-7s work very well. I only drive it when it's +70 degrees, and never in the rain. Just don't drive in the dirt or over a lot of gravel.