Thread: How many miles on your Atom?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Street Legal 2003 K20 supercharged
    Daily, autox, car meets, random stranger rides....It gets driven
    broke lower control arms and numerous hubs and himes
    29,525 miles. Bought with less than 4000
    If you don't mind me asking, how did you brake the control arms? I'm going to get more tire on this thing and wondering if the arms have to be strengthened somehow.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    HPDE+AA Experience car only
    2013 SRA
    0 problems

Bought it at 1,800 miles, 2,050 now.
    3,600 miles, 16 HPDEs done so far. Still 0 problems.
    Last edited by cvjoint; January 3, 2018 at 05:35 PM.

Country
    United States
    2007 A2 Stage 3 w/full aero & carbon package
    2470 miles as of 1/4/17
    Weekend driven, auto-x and HPDE w/no issues
    Upgraded A2 thimbles (Chromoly) and Rod Ends (extended shank: thanks sector 4)
    This spring; CCW wheels 16x9.5 and 15x8, new tires, Link Fury PCM, ID 1000 injectors, New fuel lines/pump/tank gaskets E85 safe, upgraded A/W IC, single pass manifold, Torrington bearings for coilovers.
    Last edited by 2/3rdsCobra; January 5, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

Up Quark
    Country
    Spain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2/3rdsCobra View Post
    2007 A2 Stage 3 w/full aero & carbon package
    2470 miles as of 1/4/17
    Weekend driven, auto-x and HPDE w/no issues
    Upgraded A2 thimbles (Chromoly) and Rod Ends (extended shank: thanks sector 4)
    This spring; CCW wheels 16x9.5 and 15x8, new tires, Link Fury PCM, ID 1000 injectors, New fuel lines/pump/tank gaskets E85 safe, upgraded A/W IC, single pass manifold, Torrington bearings for coilovers.

Cobra would you be so kind as to post or PM me where specifically you bought the extended rod ends and chromoly thimbles?

I have a stage 2 2007 atom I just took delivery of, I wanted to get track ready.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fergustsi View Post
    Cobra would you be so kind as to post or PM me where specifically you bought the extended rod ends and chromoly thimbles?

I have a stage 2 2007 atom I just took delivery of, I wanted to get track ready.
    Here ya go - https://steinjager.com/shop/index.ph...oduct_id=40198

Up Quark
    Country
    Spain

as per the fix article in the forum "The number of affected rod ends is: Qty 6 of *M-6T (one end of each of 4 suspension pushrods and 2 steering pushrods), Qty 6 of *B-6T (likewise), and Qty 6 *B-10T (top of upright to A-arm on 4 wheels, bottom of rear upright to A-arm on 2 wheels)."

it looks like the part was 3/8 inch (6) lh and (6) rh and (6) of the 5/8 LH. Your link shows only a 5/8 extended shaft length, are you changing all of them out to this increased radius? also would you get the 5/8 proximal or 1/2 proximal?

Sorry for the very newb questions, im trying to do things right the first time.
    I dont see the chromoly thimbles on that site. are those special ordered?

Country
    United States
    as per the fix article in the forum "The number of affected rod ends is: Qty 6 of *M-6T (one end of each of 4 suspension pushrods and 2 steering pushrods), Qty 6 of *B-6T (likewise), and Qty 6 *B-10T (top of upright to A-arm on 4 wheels, bottom of rear upright to A-arm on 2 wheels)."

it looks like the part was 3/8 inch (6) lh and (6) rh and (6) of the 5/8 LH. Your link shows only a 5/8 extended shaft length, are you changing all of them out to this increased radius? also would you get the 5/8 proximal or 1/2 proximal?

Sorry for the very newb questions, im trying to do things right the first time.
    I dont see the chromoly thimbles on that site. are those special ordered?
    There are only a total of 10 rod ends. You'll only need the extended shank rod ends on the control arms (4 for the upper and 2 for the lower toe adjuster in the rear). The link I provided is for the correct rod end. The other 4 should only be replaced if the current ones are worn or if you happen to have the SPM/SPB series rod ends which are about 1/3 the strength of the AM units.

Here is the snip of the post re; the thimbles. No one wanted to pick some up so I paid about $43.00 each for them however they may be more, worth it IMHO.

Just got an e-mail back from Jeff @ Ballistic Fabrication. He said that he can fab up the thimbles in 4310 Chromoly @ $20.00 plus shipping if I can get 60 of them sold. Given that there are 6 thimbles on each of the control arms, there would need to be 10 full orders. The fab time is 2 weeks from receipt of funds.

Here is his e-mail to me; "
    I can do the 6 PC's for $43 ea or do a quantity of 60 at @ $20 ea.

Delivery in 2 weeks

Jeff Bullock
    President
    Ballistic Fabrication
    520-888-4441"

Up Quark
    Country
    Spain
    There are only a total of 10 rod ends. You'll only need the extended shank rod ends on the control arms (4 for the upper and 2 for the lower toe adjuster in the rear). The link I provided is for the correct rod end. The other 4 should only be replaced if the current ones are worn or if you happen to have the SPM/SPB series rod ends which are about 1/3 the strength of the AM units.

Here is the snip of the post re; the thimbles. No one wanted to pick some up so I paid about $43.00 each for them however they may be more, worth it IMHO.

Just got an e-mail back from Jeff @ Ballistic Fabrication. He said that he can fab up the thimbles in 4310 Chromoly @ $20.00 plus shipping if I can get 60 of them sold. Given that there are 6 thimbles on each of the control arms, there would need to be 10 full orders. The fab time is 2 weeks from receipt of funds.

Here is his e-mail to me; "
    I can do the 6 PC's for $43 ea or do a quantity of 60 at @ $20 ea.

Delivery in 2 weeks

Jeff Bullock
    President
    Ballistic Fabrication
    520-888-4441"

First, thanks for all your help in this matter and your prompt replies.
    so basically the replacement for extended replaces these stock aurora ends. "Qty 6 *B-10T (top of upright to A-arm on 4 wheels, bottom of rear upright to A-arm on 2 wheels)"

The other ends, isnt there an outer (wheel side) and one car side? i have the silver rod ends, my vin numbers end with 68, i assume this was a later chassis that had the normal rod ends placed? from the article it seems only the gold ones were a mistake, correct? so silver ok? or should i dig around for the stamp?

the dual pass intake, is it the one from zzperformance?
    i assume this requires new custom piping?

as far as the gauges you recommended, you use combination display gauges for ease of monitoring display purposes?

Last question, since youre so knowledgeable, any leads on seat mounting brackets to lower the sparco seats? or leads on tub seats, which i read sit you lower?

Thanks again.

Country
    United States
    First, thanks for all your help in this matter and your prompt replies.
    so basically the replacement for extended replaces these stock aurora ends. "Qty 6 *B-10T (top of upright to A-arm on 4 wheels, bottom of rear upright to A-arm on 2 wheels)"

The other ends, isnt there an outer (wheel side) and one car side? i have the silver rod ends, my vin numbers end with 68, i assume this was a later chassis that had the normal rod ends placed? from the article it seems only the gold ones were a mistake, correct? so silver ok? or should i dig around for the stamp?

Sorry, correct there are a total of ten 3/8 (#6) rod ends (two per pushrod on the bell crank and two on the steering rack). The six I noted above are for the control arms. They are the ones that provide support to the thimble. In my case, I had chromoly thimbles and the extended shank rod ends.

dual pass intake, is it the one from zzperformance?
    i assume this requires new custom piping?

No custom piping, just need about 2 feet of 3/4 inch ID heater hose, a crap ton of hose clamps and lots of patience. It's not a fun job. You have to take off the SC and intake manifold, rotate 2 laminova tubes and re-install. I also replaced ALL of the seals (laminova takes 8, intake mani and SC gaskets to include the o-ring for the by-pass. Even though your Atom (mine did too) has less than 3000 miles, it's still over 10 years old so those seals are @ the end of their life.

as far as the gauges you recommended, you use combination display gauges for ease of monitoring display purposes?

Yes

Last question, since youre so knowledgeable, any leads on seat mounting brackets to lower the sparco seats? or leads on tub seats, which i read sit you lower?

Thanks again.
    Nope, but companies that supply Sparco seats should have side optional mounts that may lower the seat further for you. If that doesn't work, then maybe remove the sliders, they add about one to one and a half inches of height. You'll just lose your ability to move the seat fore/aft. That might be a blessing; now you won't have to let many people drive it, lol.

Up Quark
    Country
    Spain
    I ahvent been able to get a response from ballistic about the thimbles using the general email contact, do you have a direct email for jeff or another way to contact them?

thanks,

Sorry, correct there are a total of ten 3/8 (#6) rod ends (two per pushrod on the bell crank and two on the steering rack). The six I noted above are for the control arms. They are the ones that provide support to the thimble. In my case, I had chromoly thimbles and the extended shank rod ends.

[/COLOR]

No custom piping, just need about 2 feet of 3/4 inch ID heater hose, a crap ton of hose clamps and lots of patience. It's not a fun job. You have to take off the SC and intake manifold, rotate 2 laminova tubes and re-install. I also replaced ALL of the seals (laminova takes 8, intake mani and SC gaskets to include the o-ring for the by-pass. Even though your Atom (mine did too) has less than 3000 miles, it's still over 10 years old so those seals are @ the end of their life.

[/COLOR]

Yes

[/COLOR]

Nope, but companies that supply Sparco seats should have side optional mounts that may lower the seat further for you. If that doesn't work, then maybe remove the sliders, they add about one to one and a half inches of height. You'll just lose your ability to move the seat fore/aft. That might be a blessing; now you won't have to let many people drive it, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast