Thread: Atom 2 Windshield Questions

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Atom 2 Windshield Questions

Bought the windscreen kit a couple of months ago and am just getting ready to install. I've read all the previous threads I could find on this topic, but have a couple of questions:

1. The kit did not come with the master cylinder relocation bracket (Atom 2), and TMI is indicating they are likely out (although they are checking). I can certainly hack something together, but would prefer to just go directly with a proven design. Anyone have a picture or drawing of the bracket? Relocating the master cylinders behind the dash isn't the best thing (would prefer better access), so also curious if anyone has come up a better mounting scheme that worked well.
    2. Is it worth installing the wiper and reservoir? Just curious if anyone has experience to share (glad it is there, wished it wasn't, etc.).

Thanks,

Dave

Country
    United States
    I relocated my master cylinder reservoir so I could fill it through the opening in the new w/s dash panel that is suppose to be used for filling the washer bottle.I used the Tilton 3-in-1 setup which is also modified so all chambers are connected together. I did not mount the wiper or washer bottle. The reservoir bracket was not difficult to fabricate, I used a piece of alu sheet metal bent a bit and it works great. I'll see if I can get some snapshots later..the Atom with the windshield is in a different building for the winter.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks, Max. Any regrets not installing the wiper/bottle?

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    one thing if you're atom is using the factory reservoirs, it's pretty much guaranteed they're going to start leaking after you move them b/c it's a 180 degree turn and they rubber seals can't handle that turn. You should drain all 3, remove them from the hoses, and put them back on the hoses 180, it should eliminate that failure, OR, upgrade to better reservoirs that aren't a 2 piece design.

I had to shim the crap out of mine to get it to fit, some people had to shim other's didn't, I think Max did 3 windshields and didn't have to shim them but mine didn't come close to fitting along the mounting points.

Do not glue the glass in until the fiberglass windshield frame is 100% installed and you're happy with the fitment, if your frame is twisted, and being forced into place on the mounting posts, it'll pull away from the glass and that could be very dangerous, so you just want to make sure the frame mounts without having to be forced into place.

It wasn't that hard really, I did mount the reservoir and wiper but never really used it.

also you're going to have to sand the nose panel to fit, it'll probably not fit 100%....it's no biggie just get a block sander and sand wherever it's causing a rub.

Last thing I remember is be careful where you drill the holes in the nose panel b/c if you drill them too high then the dzus fastener will hit and scrape your brand new paint right off...make sure you drill the holes so that the dzus fastener doesn't touch the fiberglass

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by David Porter View Post
    Thanks, Max. Any regrets not installing the wiper/bottle?
    I don't run much in the rain,but the few times I have, Rain-X kept the view very clear. I think the wiper/washer bottle is more for legal (inspection) requirements than an absolute need. If your car has the factory fire suppression option, you can forget about the wiper/washer bottle fitting,unless you chop out the fire bottle brace.(something I could never do..)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Anyone have a picture of the Brammo reservoir relocation bracket, or a picture of them installed in their new location? I can fab something up, but would prefer to see the original design first. Here's where they are currently:

If no pictures out there, where in the above picture do you relocate them to? Straight across from where they are? And where does the bracket mount to the frame? I can hack something together, but prefer to do it the way that's worked in the past.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    United States
    I have a "factory" relocation bracket I can photo tomorrow. I was going to take some shots of the bracket I made (which is on the Atom I call "Doc") but the car is not accessible easily: it's in another building and there is lots of other stuff in the way (5 motorcycles,one Miata) of me being able to move it,(it's on skates) uncover it..and take enough stuff off of the car so the photos would be of any use. However, the relocation bracket that came with the kit is readily available for photos..I will do it tomorrow..assuming we still have power and internet..big ice storm moving in tonight. It's been -15 degrees for the last few days..(not including wind chill factor) and tomorrow ..somehow..we are expecting an inch of...rain. I really really need to get my ASS out of this climate..

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    I'm pretty sure the relocation bracket does not move them where you pictured, it moves them behind the gauges, which straighens out the tubes which go from the master cylinders to the reservoirs, and causes the leaks because they're not meant to be twisted

Country
    United States
    I kept the reservoirs in the stock area..my relocation bracket basically moves them so the unit can be filled from the new opening/hole that is suppose to be for the washer bottle:

CIMG5091.jpg

My brackets are simple and use the original attachment points,but relocate the unit higher up and centered on the opening:

CIMG5089.jpg

The factory relocation bracket moves the "gang of leakers" to just behind the dash instruments (like Silver said) and use the steering column support to bolt onto:

CIMG5093.jpg

CIMG5092.jpg

CIMG5095.jpg
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; February 16, 2016 at 09:42 AM.

Country
    United States
    You will NOT be able to easily fill/service the relocated reservoirs unless you remove the dash, if you use the factory relocation bracket.You could service the under dash masters with a brake injector setup,that first sucks fresh fluid into itself,and then pushes it out.(looks like a plastic syringe) but it is a tough place to maneuver in..and not what I would do.
    I contemplated cutting a hole in the new w/s dash above the relocation area,but decided to do what I did instead.
    On my "Doc" Atom,(2007 Atom2) because it came with the factory fire suppression setup, if I ever wanted to install the wiper and washer bottle, I would have to chop the fire bottle brace off the frame as that area is where the wiper/washer reside..so it was a no brainer for me not to install them.

If you want the relocation bracket I have, PM me your address and I'll ship it to you. In my opinion,it's a lousy spot to put brake masters..but that's just me. You can make a generous donation to the ArielAtomchat website as payment.. There use to be a donation button..but I don't see it..hmmm.

Here is another shot of my 3 chamber Tilton reservoir setup, mounted to fill through the w/s dash opening that was intended for the washer bottle:

CIMG5087.jpg

This is looking forward from the drivers seat,under the dash.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; February 16, 2016 at 09:52 AM.