Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Minimalist trailer options for Atom

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
    This is a bad ass trailer with a price tag to match.
    i think ground clearance is abysmal on that- sure for loading and unloading its great, but for any sort of debris in road or speed bump, it's going to be bad

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bkthomps View Post
    i think ground clearance is abysmal on that- sure for loading and unloading its great, but for any sort of debris in road or speed bump, it's going to be bad
    Once the trailer is raised to its normal height, ground clearance looks pretty standard to me.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    When I was looking into trailers, I was considering a single axle aluminum that fit the Atom perfectly. I have a friend that tows alot of expensive cars and he said that I should never use a single axle trailer. If you have a tandem axle trailer and you get a flat, the other tire will support the trailer until you can bring it to a safe stop. If you have a single axle trailer and a tire blows, it really makes a mess and could actually flip the tow vehicle. Just a heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZVwuThiUk

Country
    United States
    Good point on the single axle. Dual is better than single that's for sure.

The safest way to tow from what I gather is mostly based on the tow vehicle size. A large truck towing a single axle aluminum trailer with an Atom is not likely to sway due to a single axle tire blowout. So I would put the money in getting more truck before getting dual axles. There is also an offseting effect since duals weigh more... I've seen reviews from folks that got flats on single axles and said they didn't even notice. It comes down to the truck. The tow vehicle in the video has a fairly short axle. I could be wrong though, this is my first rodeo after all.

Country
    United States
    Ahh..trailers... wait for it...wait for it...!! https://www.facebook.com/masterfolcl...6500041539972/
    Atommatt likes this.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    HA,HA,HA,HA,HA LOL
    Erik likes this.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cvjoint View Post
    Do any of you anticipate any issues with this guy? SRA arrives next week. The trailer is 80.75" wide and 145" long.

https://www.alumaklm.com/utility/sin...ility-trailers
    So did you get your car yet? And what did you do for a trailer?

Country
    United States
    The car gets in tomorrow midday from AMP in Atlanta. I still haven't seen/driven it yet.

I procured the trailer - the Aluma 8114, basic entry level version, as seen here:

https://cdn04.carsforsale.com/3/3227.../771867000.jpg

https://www.alumaklm.com/utility/sin...tility-trailer

It's a light ~650lb aluminum trailer so that whenever I will buy a car to tow, it will still be a fun tow car. Unfortunately it's not enclosed or dual axle (all add weight and add to fuel cost) but it was only $3k brand new. Total weight of the trailer plus car is under 2,000 lbs which opens up some nice tow car options. I will borrow a truck in the meantime.

The trailer bed is 6.75 x 14 feet, and it's open at the back so if I get super wide tires they can just hang off the trailer half an inch at most.

Importantly, the wheels are on the side, the bed height is only 20" or so, and the side rails can hold the weight of the Atom. It should be easy to load.
    Last edited by cvjoint; April 3, 2017 at 08:04 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123