Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Minimalist trailer options for Atom

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States
    My featherlite open trailer looks very similar to that aluminum one. It weights around 1100lbs empty so not particularly heavy. It is 17'6" so it is longer than the Atom needs but as long as you have outdoor storage space for a trailer it works. Mine is this one: Car Trailers - Bumper Pull Car Trailers - 3110 Car Trailer

I have seen fold-able trailers before for the Atom. I also know of a person who had an aluminum utility trailer extended 2 feet to add both length and a folding edge so it would store in the garage more easily. Just a few ideas. No pics of my setup but it looks like Frank's...

JD

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mastervic27 View Post
    Hi Lane, what kind of dolly are you using? I'm looking for a similar setup for my SRA.
    Mine is a Demco that's probably about 20 years old. Info on Demco's dollies can be found here. Mine's closest to their current Tow-It 2 model, although mine does not have the surge brakes which makes it lighter than that current model. Mine likely weighs 250 lb max, can be wheeled around by hand, stores in about half the space of a car, and tows like a dream. Tongue weight with the car loaded is probably 75 lbs. With some basic wood ramp extensions I've made (3' long and maybe 3" high) set on the ground under/behind the dolly's ramps, I can unload the Atom from the dolly pushing it by hand easily because the incline is very gradual and the dolly sits so low to the ground. I have pushed the Atom onto the dolly by hand myself also. That takes a bit more effort but it's do-able. Another pic (old, has since been painted received the cool racing disc hubcaps):

Dolly ramps are tilted in the up position in this pic.
    Last edited by Lane; July 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM.
    mastervic27 likes this.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thank you sir!! Can't wait to get my SRA to the nearest track.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    So I've been using Acme tow dolly (Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly) for almost a year now hookedup to my Honda Odyssey minivan. Generally I really like the setup - it tows really nicely - barely know it is there. The dolly can be put on its side and takes little space in garage. Uncertain re hydraulic surge brakes I got - they certainly effective (having issues with them now - and it is noticeable when they are not working) but add another moving component/rattle/etc. Will likely look at electric brakes next time.

Few areas of improvement I am working on
    - I don't like using my race tires for towing. So I am looking to get a set of towing wheels. I want to get largest diameter wheel/tire combo to increase clearance between rear of Atom frame and ground.
    - Needed to use wood spacer (1-2in) on dolly to add extra clearance between nose and dolly frame. This may be specific to Acme
    - Have not figured out a good way of attaching tow lights. Most of them are magnetic but there is no flat surface in the rear. Ideally I could make them in a way to clamp to frame. And perhaps partially prewire them to have a connector in the nose.
    - Have not figured out a good cockpit cover to keep elements and undesirable visitors out. I have outdoor cover that I put on overnight - a slight hassle - but can't use it when moving.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Do you guys detach the drive shaft when using the tow dolly?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by aoysgelt View Post
    - Have not figured out a good way of attaching tow lights. Most of them are magnetic but there is no flat surface in the rear. Ideally I could make them in a way to clamp to frame.
    The dolly has lights. What benefit would an additional set of lights a few feet back from those be? If someone is that inattentive behind the wheel that they don't see that one set, another isn't going to make a difference to them.

Quote Originally Posted by atom ant View Post
    Do you guys detach the drive shaft when using the tow dolly?
    Don't need to. See this thread.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Ion
    Country
    United States
    Race Car Trailers, Car Transporters, Race Trailers USA, AUS, NZ

This looks really slick and weighs less than 900 lbs.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    The dolly has lights. What benefit would an additional set of lights a few feet back from those be? If someone is that inattentive behind the wheel that they don't see that one set, another isn't going to make a difference to them.

Don't need to. See this thread.
    This is subjective opinion - but first time I had to tow at night - I kept worrying about someone might rear end me as atom is dark and sticks out quick far past where tow dolly ends... An alternative would be to put some reflective tape - but then worrying about it staying on (given proximity of hot engine), etc...

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Atom View Post
    Race Car Trailers, Car Transporters, Race Trailers USA, AUS, NZ

This looks really slick and weighs less than 900 lbs.
    This is a bad ass trailer with a price tag to match.

Country
    United States
    Do any of you anticipate any issues with this guy? SRA arrives next week. The trailer is 80.75" wide and 145" long.

https://www.alumaklm.com/utility/sin...ility-trailers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast