Thread: Ship from UK to USA

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Ship from UK to USA

I am seeing a lot for sale over sees. Can one be shipped from UK? Assuming it would cost you 5k?

Fermion
    Country
    UK
    Cant see why any of the UK Atoms can not be shipped from UK to US. Ambidextrous chassis are a UK option and would be a nice option to have on an car imported to US or even any other euro country that needs L/H drive cars.
    There is one for sale on Pistonheads UK for 39,999 ($60,680) at the moment with a good spec 2012 model with an ambidextrous chassis. it looks a nice car (I have no connection to this car)

Country
    United States
    Be careful. If you do not or cannot secure an exemption from the NHTSB for safety standards or from the EPA's emissions standards and you get a UK Atom into the US it will likely be impounded and crushed.

I spent a bit searching and couldn't find the info, but a hopped-up UK chassis was imported as "parts" and reassembled in Florida and registered. Supposedly, it was impounded and slated to be destroyed because it was illegally imported.

If Ariel UK was doing the TMI deal and shipping a "rolling chassis" then, depending on the registration state, it could be registered as a Kit if shipped without the drive train.

Country
    United States
    Yes, you can bring a frame and components over and then assemble the vehicle with whatever drive train that you want. Of course, last I know of this happening predates Brammo and TMI.

if you try and bring a fully assembled one you may run into the same problem that Land Rover Defender importers face (unless it's an old Land Rover).

Country
    United States
    You're right! There is a process. There are UK chassis Atoms in the US right now, back in the day, dp35 (on the other forum) ended up with Brammo's UK test subject, which was previously privately registered in the Pacific Northwest; I want to say Washington. I assume those examples are legally imported, registered and insured etc. With governments being what they are, there is more to it than simply loading a car on a barge and hauling it over.

I briefly looked into the Atom importation process early in 2006 just before Brammo made their announcement that they'd be making it domestically.

The Florida instance I recall was imported in a way that was not supposed to allow it to be roadworthy again after it made landfall. The owner abused the importation rules which was grounds for confiscation.

oops.