Thread: What to buy?

Fermion
    Country
    United States

What to buy?

I have searched a little here and there. I am still curious is the Honda motor a better buy or do people prefer the ecotech?
    Any things to look for and to avoid?

Definitely looking at used in the 50-60 range.
    I am I'm California

Country
    United States
    What powers the Atom is not as important as the whole package itself. It's like saying which is better,a Honda or a Chevrolet? You will have supporters of each brand. Both engines are great power plants. Personally, I'd like a Ford/Cosworth power option with a nice close ratio transaxle..but that's just my bias...but,I love my Ecotec powered Atoms. Some day when I'm "rich", I may buy a newer factory turbo Honda powered Atom...
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    What options should one consider? It will be street driven and maybe taken to track just for kicks.

Country
    United States
    I'd get a windshield option..side panels..maybe the track brakes and suspension,if it's in your budget.Seating is a personal thing..I like the tub seating,even for the track. A good, quiet exhaust is a plus..and a dedicated set of wheels/tires for track use.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I'm in SoCal and drive my atom on the street and some track. Here's what I would recommend. Windshield and side panels for sure. If it was an option when I got mine I would've gotten the turbo. The regular brakes have been fine for me on the street and some track use.
    also remember you can not register an out of state atom in California or it is really hard to do. I bought mine new and it took 8 months to get done.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    So I see two recommendation for side panels. The reason?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanhiggins2002 View Post
    So I see two recommendation for side panels. The reason?
    Less gravel to the face with them. They do a great job blocking anything flung off the front wheels (sand, gravel, rain, roadkill). Most owners are going to put sticky tires on this car, and they really like to fling stuff.

The side panels also reduce the effects of crosswinds and reduce the noise in the "interior". And if you drive in the rain, you will be spared from some of the wetness. Those that drive the car in cold weather know that keeping just a little bit of wind off of you goes a long way toward staying warm as well.

The typical person who buys this car doesn't do so for its creature comforts. But, if something as simple as this makes me more confident and comfortable behind the wheel, and allows me to enjoy the car more, I'll take it. I've done track events and long road trips with my side panels and without them. They're worth every penny, IMO, and mine typically stay on the car.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Any drive train in the 250+hp will be a blast, my personal bias is for Honda given the overwhelming aftermarket for tuning, gearing and power-adders.

The car's so light I doubt you'll ever get much brake fade, the "Race" or Alcon brake packages are unnecessary.

I've never driven with bog-standard shocks or the Íhlins mega adjustables. I suspect the max option is unnecessary for the casual track day enthusiast. Tire selection/pressures will likely make a bigger difference.

A spare set of wheels is a good idea, lean towards a wider rear width than is offered from the factory (e.g. 245s+)

I am used to motorcycles and so I don't mind a helmet and a bit of wind. Dressing according to the weather will prove advantageous. I have no interest in a windscreen; I feel it makes the car hideous and detracts from the "raw" experience. Buy a bubblegum Cadillac for the cross-country road trips (unless you're Terry Kennedy ).

With sticky tires, street and track time I haven't really noticed getting pelted with much tire-thrown debris, but there is a lot of trash that makes it into the tub at the end of the day. Side panels would prevent some of that. They will make fastening the 4-6 point harness more difficult as there'll be no elbow room. If you've got an "American" physique it'll be even harder.

The side panels will really make a difference if you're driving somewhat slowly in deep standing water (at some speeds you get lateral fan of water behind the tire instead of a vertical rooster tail ). But I wouldn't install the side panels merely for wet-weather performance.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by McFred View Post
    Any drive train in the 250+hp will be a blast, my personal bias is for Honda given the overwhelming aftermarket for tuning, gearing and power-adders.

The car's so light I doubt you'll ever get much brake fade, the "Race" or Alcon brake packages are unnecessary.

I've never driven with bog-standard shocks or the Íhlins mega adjustables. I suspect the max option is unnecessary for the casual track day enthusiast. Tire selection/pressures will likely make a bigger difference.

A spare set of wheels is a good idea, lean towards a wider rear width than is offered from the factory (e.g. 245s+)

I am used to motorcycles and so I don't mind a helmet and a bit of wind. Dressing according to the weather will prove advantageous. I have no interest in a windscreen; I feel it makes the car hideous and detracts from the "raw" experience. Buy a bubblegum Cadillac for the cross-country road trips (unless you're Terry Kennedy ).

With sticky tires, street and track time I haven't really noticed getting pelted with much tire-thrown debris, but there is a lot of trash that makes it into the tub at the end of the day. Side panels would prevent some of that. They will make fastening the 4-6 point harness more difficult as there'll be no elbow room. If you've got an "American" physique it'll be even harder.

The side panels will really make a difference if you're driving somewhat slowly in deep standing water (at some speeds you get lateral fan of water behind the tire instead of a vertical rooster tail ). But I wouldn't install the side panels merely for wet-weather performance.

"American physique" lmao