Thread: Is the spacing of the pedal adjustable?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Is the spacing of the pedal adjustable?

Hey Guys,

My new to me AA3 arrived yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!!!! Very ballsy car. The acceleration feels even more violent than on my McLaren.

I am 6 feet 4 inches tall, but I was pleasantly surprised T how well I fit in the car. However, the pedals are so close together that my size 13 feet create problems unless I drive barefoot.

Does anybody know if the spacing between the pedals is adjustable? I.E. can I spread out the brake and accelerator in particular to create a little more room for my foot and ensure that I don't hit the brake and gas at the same time?

Any input appreciated! Thanks to all.

Rob

Country
    United States
    I have size 14 feet and I have just resigned to wearing shoes with curved sides on the soles. I am not aware of a lateral adjustment, but, mine is an A2. I drove once with some sneakers with an outward angle cut and they caught on everything

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    With size 13 shoes I have the same problem. I just have to be more selective about the shoes I wear when driving the Atom.... driving shoes, PUMAS, etc work much better than normal shoes.

Country
    United States
    The pedals felt too close together for my tastes as well, and I'd had a few scary moments where braking quickly to a stop unexpectedly caused the edge of my right foot to press on the accelerator as well. Bought my first pair of driving shoes (actually, from TMI's store at VIR) which took care of the problem.

You could also consider making the pedal pads narrower by crawling into the footwell with an angle grinder. Those on the Wilwood pedal box on my Atom 2 don't come off, but if yours do, replacing them with narrower ones would probably be the easiest thing to do.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Buy some actual driving shoes. They really aren't expensive and make a HUGE difference in operating the pedals without error. I can't drive my Atom with anything else.Once you have them,they will become part of your Atom wear ensemble..

I like the G-Force brand..but there are many to choose from. Ebay..http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-FORCE-236-...RVvl8S&vxp=mtr

s-l500.jpg

Budget minded..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Size-1...lU7nrI&vxp=mtr

s-l64.jpg
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; October 29, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I have these (Pyrotect X48110, link to them on Pyrotect's site here).

41yfNRH4erL._SY355_.jpg

Comfort, fit, and effectiveness are outstanding. They provide a great feel and good sensitivity to what's going on with the pedals, and the sole is nice and narrow. I would have preferred a shoe that wasn't a high-top, but models like that looked rare to non-existent. How do people buy shoes mail-order though? Order 3 sizes and return 2? That's the huge benefit to looking for a race shop near you where you can try them on before buying.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions guys! I have plenty of driving shoes and if I was going to be tracking my AA, I would no doubt wear them.

I will primarily be using my AA for back-road hooliganism at my vacation home in Idaho. The only problem is that when I jump out of my car at the local saloon or burger joint, I don't want to be wearing my adorable little red driving shoes.

In fact, in this part of the country, that might get me a good asswhuppin'!!!

Joking aside, I took a look last night and realized that I can move my brake pedal over about 1/2 inch to the left, which will help immensely. If I still need more room I will take the pedal out and shave it down further. Thanks to all for the replies!

Rob

Fermion
    Country
    UK
    on the UK Atoms they have tillet pedal boxes and the accelerator pedal has a bolt on flat pedal. i removed the actual part you put your foot on and made a new one, quite easy to make from 3mm ally. i made it so it was about 12mm closer to the outside of the car and that gave me approx 12mm more clearance. easy fix. dont know what the pedals are like on the US Atoms

http://www.atomclub.com/forum/index....html#msg256996
    Last edited by Rocket Man; November 10, 2015 at 12:13 AM.

Up Quark
    Country
    UK
    That'll be Tilton