Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RollingThunder
  • 1 Post By RollingThunder

Thread: Driven A New Turbo Atom?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Driven A New Turbo Atom?

Has anyone actually driven one of the 365 HP Atoms from TMI? I was wondering if you could share your experience. Is the balance or drivability of the car impacted? Does the increase in power translate to decreased lap times at he track or speed on the street? I ask because I am considering one for track duty and wanted any feedback before pulling the trigger.
    Thanks in advance.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    while I can't comment on that car itself I can comment on the power difference, for example when I purchased my ecotec atom it would do about 200whp and after modifications it did 280whp so to compare approximating flywheel horsepower using 20% drivetrain loss I had a 250hp atom and went up to a 350hp atom, so that's my basis for this comment.

I could definitely see the power increase and it was absolutely beneficial on track for getting the atom to the higher mph quicker, where the original set up just wasn't happy trying to push the atom above 120, the new set up would push right through 150 before it ran out of steam

so I would just say get the most power you can afford especially if you're going to track it as that's really the only place you'll need the increased power...sorry I can't comment on the balance or drivability of the honda turbo atom but at least I hope the helps you a little

Particle
    Country
    United States
    I own the first turbo built by TMI. Put about 1,000 miles on it now -- all at the track. Love it. Accelerates like crazy but very linear power delivery -- no lag that I can tell. I have owned several turbos in the past, including a Porsche 911 Turbo S and McLaren, and the smoothness of the turbo works on the Atom as well as if not better than these other cars.
    jesse@tmi likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Nice to know.....RollingThunder, I'm in the process of turbo installation too.
    But all turbo has lag...you just didn't notice it 'cause the atom is light.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    I think the torque from the K24 helps to mask any lag at low rpms.
    jesse@tmi likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    How much turbo boost on 2015?

Particle
    Country
    United States
    I believe 10psi max.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to take the leap. I'll let yo know what I think when I get back on the track next spring. Thanks for all of the input.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    As RollingThunder mentioned, the power is very linear. We put a lot of time into the turbo development and the result is almost no lag when its time to power on.

You may have already seen it, but check out this Road & Track article where the writer talks about power delivery:

The Ariel Atom 3S Is 360 Horsepower of Grin-Inducing Insanity

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    i've worked very hard to get my twin charged atom to delivery power in a linear fashion, and it does so

the next hurdle is traction control and delivering the power to the ground- you get into concepts like boost by gear, boost by speed, disabling traction control under certain events that would upset the suspension loading such as corner entry, etc

it's not as simple as just raising the HP levels