Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle aged bored guy looking for an Ariel Atom

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Middle aged bored guy looking for an Ariel Atom

Greetings Guys,

I am a dyed in the wool sports car nut with what my wife refers to as automotive A.D.D. I go through cars about every 6 months. But hey, I live in California and figure it is easier (and cheaper!) to swap toys than wives!

I have had a bunch of high-end exotics, but now I want an Ariel Atom as a toy to keep at my vacation home in Idaho. My home is at 6K feet in elevation, so I think I need either a turbo or supercharged car and would welcome inputs on the pros & cons of both. Primary purposes of the car will be 1) early morning hooligan runs on empty country roads, 2) scare the stink out of my daughters on early morning coffee runs, 3) antagonize my neighbors and Homeowners Association!

I would prefer to buy used and would welcome any leads, advice or comments. Thank you!

Wolf

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    if you're only going to keep it a short time I honestly wouldn't put much thought or debate into which one you buy, as you'll love the worst one and the best one the same for the time you own it, that's my 2 cents.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    if you're only going to keep it a short time I honestly wouldn't put much thought or debate into which one you buy, as you'll love the worst one and the best one the same for the time you own it, that's my 2 cents.
    I'm actually hopeful that I will keep it for awhile. The entry price is rather small relative to the cars I have owned, so it is easy to just stow it away when not in use.

I'm most interested in hearing if their is a decisive winner in the turbo vs supercharged choice, or if it is a matter of just buying the best car I can find that suits my needs.

I am a performance junkie, so I know I need more than a NA model, especially with the power loss at 6K feet.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfturbo View Post
    I'm actually hopeful that I will keep it for awhile. The entry price is rather small relative to the cars I have owned, so it is easy to just stow it away when not in use.

I'm most interested in hearing if their is a decisive winner in the turbo vs supercharged choice, or if it is a matter of just buying the best car I can find that suits my needs.

I am a performance junkie, so I know I need more than a NA model, especially with the power loss at 6K feet.

obviously you may not fit the common mold but you tick a lot of boxes off for a very large number of buyers who have come before you presenting that scenario so just take what I say with a grain of salt!

These are track cars and need upkeep and maintenance, they just so happen to be road legal in some states, that's how you should approach it, make sure you have yourself or someone you know who can look after the car b/c you really don't want to have something break loose while your driving.....and that's advice for if you're looking at buying a used model.

If you're good to go with mechanical skills entertain an older one, if not look for a newer one....of course supercharged / turbo makes everything better!

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks Silver. Much appreciated. I have raced shifter karts and open wheeled Skip Barber cars as well. Managed to have a few diabolical and evil Porsches along the way (CGT and GT2's) without killing myself, so hoping to avoid any stupid mistakes with an AA.

Quite frankly, I'd be too scared to drive one down here in So Cal where I spend most of my time. I can drive with very little traffic up in Idaho, but then on the other hand........ I'm in deep shit if I hit a deer or moose!!!!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Ahh ok a track background is very helpful with this car with shifter karts too, I even used a shifter kart radiator as my intercooler on my atom.

Country
    United States
    Eddie Hill (aka FourFather) has some very cool Turbo Atoms for sale. Check out his ads in the US Atoms for sale section. Maybe he will even autograph one for you..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Mine actually is signed by Eddie Hill and is for sale in that section. However, it's normally aspirated.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfturbo View Post
    You also have Brammo (2005-2007) which have LSJ Ecotecs (brawn low down) vs. the TMI Hondas (VTEC up high).

I'll see your 6K feet and raise you 8K feet:

(Mount Evans, 14260 ft.)

Or...

(Death Valley, -280 ft.)

Country
    United States
    Hi, Wolf,

Here is a brand new 2016 Turbo Atom that I have for sale. It is factory rated at 365HP, with 2.4 liters, and is ready to ship from the factory direct to a new owner.

2016 Turbo Atom now available new for $79,979, from Eddie Hill (In the for sale section)

My current 2012 demonstrator/company car is a supercharged 2.0 liter, rated at 300 HP. Here is a sample of how it runs-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwrvqj8TvN8

And here-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgUNet7Rfz8

Thanks for looking-

Eddie FourFather Hill
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast