Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Diagram (specifically chassis)

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    anyone able to help me out here? can't drive the car until this is solved

Country
    United States
    I watched that video,but all they were doing was checking for positive voltage at the various fuses.If you need me to test the continuity of a specific circuit, I can do that.Just let me know which fuse/circuit needs to be tested. Does the dash fuse pop when the dash harness is unplugged at the dash panel,and power is applied? If it still pops,with the dash unplugged, then the short is in the harness.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I watched that video,but all they were doing was checking for positive voltage at the various fuses.If you need me to test the continuity of a specific circuit, I can do that.Just let me know which fuse/circuit needs to be tested. Does the dash fuse pop when the dash harness is unplugged at the dash panel,and power is applied? If it still pops,with the dash unplugged, then the short is in the harness.
    they're telling me the short still happens when the dash is unplugged so i tend to agree with you, in the video he was checking continuity to ground

Country
    United States
    Video wasn't very clear what he was doing. If they check the fuse circuit that is popping the fuse for continuity to ground and there is continuity with harness unplugged from dash,that pretty much tells me the problem is in the harness. Possibly a screw has punctured the harness conduit..and rubbed through the dash power wire..? I have a Power Probe setup (ECT-2000) that allows me to insert a fuse adaptor into the fuse socket/shorted circuit that transmits a signal along the wire, and a hand held receiver that I move along the wiring to locate the source of the ground. It works really well finding shorts and open (broken) wiring issues without having to pull the harness apart.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    max, power probe ordered and sent to shop- will let you know what they find, i'm so busy lately i don't have time to even enjoy the car if they do manage to fix it, i'm going to try to get all the squawks fixed on the car and then put it on the market- 7 super cars is too many for me

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    thanks for your suggestion, as it turns out, the short is intermittent and actually in the dash module itself, i'll be trying to figure out a way to have stack repair this unit- wow, what a frustrating YEAR of downtime this has resulted in

Country
    United States
    "they're telling me the short still happens when the dash is unplugged"...

Glad you found it..but still puzzling..if the fuse still pops when the harness is unplugged from the instrument cluster/dash module..how can the short be in the cluster?

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    "they're telling me the short still happens when the dash is unplugged"...

Glad you found it..but still puzzling..if the fuse still pops when the harness is unplugged from the instrument cluster/dash module..how can the short be in the cluster?
    i believe a miscommunication occurred when i asked the shop to do that, it seems they just tried that approach today and the fuse does NOT pop when the dash harness is unplugged from the SPA cluster. I had asked them to do that months ago, but again, miscommunication is all i can think of- glad it's solved now

Country
    United States
    It may not be applicable, but the fuse block itself was an issue with my Brammo AA2 as delivered. Some of the female electrical terminals for the fuses themselves were pushed out the bottom of the fuse block when a fuse was inserted. Fuses were not blown, but there was no circuit for power available through the fuse either.

Make sure your mechanic is not taking the fuse block integrity for granted.

Just something to consider.

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    cluster is going back to SPA to get rebuilt/verified, hoping to make the next track day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast