Thread: Registering Atom in CA

n00b

Registering Atom in CA

If you owned, say, a '65 VW, and you heavily modified it into a dune buggy, couldn't you drive it as such and have a legal registration?

Likewise, couldn't you say that your Ariel Atom is a heavily modified '65 VW, and use your plates and registration from the '65 VW?

I don't yet own an Atom, but it seems like this would be a plausible way to register an Atom in CA. Hasn't anyone done this before? I know it's done with lots of kit cars.

Country
    United States
    Seeing as there isn't even one single bolt from a VW on an Atom..I don't see how anyone would buy your story. Most cops aren't stupid,so you would be asking for trouble the first time you were pulled over and inspected. Maybe you could get away with it for a while..but the reality is you would be 100% illegal. Who wants to risk the hassle of that scenario? Not me..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

n00b
    Country
    United States
    ^^

I agree. I'd only go through with the SB100 process and be done with it. Sure you could drive with out of states tag by
    setting up an LLC somewhere else, but you'll still get a fine if pulled over. Not worth it IMO.

Country
    United States
    The only way to register is through the sb100 process. You don't have a vw vin so you won't pass any inspections.

n00b
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Thanks for your replies.