Thread: Side Panels

Up Quark
    Country
    United States

Side Panels

I am going to be a new Atom owner soon!!! What is your opinion on side panels? Are they useful? Do you have them or not and why? Just curious.

Country
    United States
    Side panels=Good. Keep rocks and water from flying off front tires and on to your body and face.(fenders or not) It can get pretty bad..especially if you drive in any dirt/water often.

Also keeps buffeting down when travelling above 80pmh...and helps a lot with wind when at terminal velocities.

Makes it easy to put car numbers,racing stickers (good for 15mph) and transponders too.

I like the clear versions, as the frame is pretty damn cool on the Atom and to me,hiding it is a sin.

The panels are pretty cheap and come on/off fairly easy...if you are gumby.. and can reach both sides of the bolt/nut with wrenches.

I leave mine on and like them.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I agree with everything Max said. I do like the look of the car just a bit more without the side panels but I keep them on because they allow me to enjoy the experience behind the wheel more than I would without them. I've done a few track events and some street driving without them, and more than 19,000 street miles with them. They're worth every penny, IMO.

Also, if you ever get caught in heavy rain or choose to drive in the rain, they will greatly reduce the amount of water entering the cockpit and hitting you in the face (off the front wheels). For greatest longevity, don't ever wipe them if they're dry. Wet them with something, and change the angle on a towel as you wipe to pull any dirt/debris off the panel as you move the towel along the panel. Anything you can do to keep from running a dirty towel full of dust or sand over them will keep them from getting haze or fine scratches. I also hit them with step 2 & 3 Novus polishes on an orbital buffer every couple of years. Takes them back to an amazing almost-new finish.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks! I think I will get them. We get unexpected thunderstorms in East Tennessee as well as plenty of road debris.