Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grinds into reverse

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Spent an hour and half adjusting the master cylinder rod. No change. It would move that 1/2" down to maybe 1/4" but then thats as close as i could get it to being fully disengaged with the pedal on the floor. Even loosened the nuts up on the master to take up some of that play...no change. What i dont get is how this happened all of a sudden. One day it was fine, next it started grinding into reverse, and has deteriorated since.

Still working out this limp home mode and went for a test drive a little bot ago. Got half way around the block and clutch started getting real bad. Wasnt banging on it, wasnt forcing it into gear or nothing but i barely made it back. Now its worse then ever. Pulled the inpsection cover for the clutch but dont see anything out of the ordinary. No broken pressure plate fingers or anything like that. Im thinking a mechanical failure of the clutch.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Friction disc failure. Either the material separated from the disc or where it splines to the input shaft sheared. Went to move the car to another bay and horrible grinding under any load now in any gear (1st and 2nd, didn't try any others as the noise is disconcerting).....

This is a 2006 Atom 2 Ecotech. Is it just a factory clutch or did they use some sort of upgraded unit? If no upgrade, any recommendations? Going to pull the drive train late next week and want to get everything in order once we confirm the failure and its just a clutch and flywheel job.
    Last edited by EndressAuto; August 21, 2015 at 06:18 PM.

Country
    United States
    I used the GM factory LSJ upgrade kit on a Fidanza aluminum flywheel (you can use the stock flywheel as well) and have been very happy with it. Never a slip...smooth when cold and positive disengagement. Bolt in setup with no hydraulic modifications. (My engine makes 240whp. A tad more on Sunoco 260GTX.)

link to kit-> Ecotec LSJ Clutch Upgrade Kit 19212712
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; August 21, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Ha, i was looking at that exact kit earlier today. Ill inform the customer and have him get it. Any link to the flywheel? Mine as well go with a setup that is known to work. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    If he mostly drives it on the street,stay with the factory flywheel. Don't resurface it..buy a new one.Crate Engine Depot sells them (or the local GM dealer)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; August 21, 2015 at 06:30 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Its mostly a track car. Or at least used an awful lot on the track.

Country
    United States
    In that case,use the Fidanza..link to ZZPerformance...Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel - Transmission & Drivetrain (don't forget to buy new flywheel/crank bolts)

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Later in the week, i would say Thursday or Friday i will be hopefully pulling the drive train from the car. Ill split it open and then advise the customer what to order. I'm gone for 12 days after that so it should be plenty of time to get all the parts but still have the car ready for track day this time next month.

Pictures will most likely be posted.

Country
    United States
    I have a thread where I pulled my engine/transaxle out for repair if you want to take a peek at pull points and jack placement for easy removal.Once you have the power train floating loose, a floor jack under the LH transaxle body(with rubber padding) helps keep everything off the frame and nick free. . Link>.https://www.arielatomchat.com/forums/thread1289.html

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Anybody have a part number for the flange gasket where the exhaust bolts to the manifold?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast