Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Very strange problem, hoping someone can point me right direction...

Country
    United States
    McFred is on it. Low oil pressure is likely the culprit. I have a baffled K20 pan and it's not enough, adding Accusump as we're speaking.

SRAs have an oil pressure indicator. My VTEC shuts off around 30psi. Disengaging the VTEC boosts oil pressure because it takes some pressure just to keep VTEC engaged.

SAD
    Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thanks to both of you for the responses. Iím very appreciative.

I should have mentioned... I already had increased the oil in the pan by about 3/4-1 quart as I had suspected oil starvation could be the culprit. It had done it on a few other spots on the track but I was a dummy and didnít make note of where on the track. This is a very technical track that favors handling over overall high speed runs. So the opportunity for high-G turns is all over the place.

After the addition of the extra oil, the limp mode basically was eliminated except for the right hand uphill turn that is turn nine.

I decided to post up here since everything Iíve read seemed to point to the left-hand turns as mentioned. and my problem really is a limp mode as opposed to a brief interruption of power. Exactly as the original poster states; even that it takes a restart to resolve it.

Maybe the "limp mode" Iím experiencing is not that, but instead a longer period before oil pressure is returned? I just assumed it was a limp mode because it took a restart to restore the system to normal. But maybe I simply was not waiting long enough before I let it resolved itself on its own.

i have ordered the Hondata FlashPro to see if I can capture/log data in the meantime; since I havenít got my Solo2DL dialed in just yet. A gauge is definitely in my future. I was just afraid the dip may be brief enough that I wouldnít notice the drop and recovery on a gauge when driving on the track.

"The Bitch".... Hehe... yeah.. I learned to drive that complex of 7-8-9 before I learned that 9 was called that. I guess ignorance was bliss for me, because I never really had problems with the turn. I know plenty of other people did though. perhaps they knew what it was called before they tried it and had a preconceive notion that they were going to crash LOL

SAD
    Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Intrigued by the accusump. Will google since I’m not familiar with it. Thx!

Country
    United States
    I overfill which helps a lot, but I also moved to 50 weight oil which is easier to pump and increases PSI across the board. Got rid of 99% of the starvation issues (with baffles, overfilling, and heavy oil) but now I'm adding aero so I am adding Accusump. Either way Accusump will help your engine as the PSI drops all over the place in turns, hence even if you stay in VTEC you have fairly low pressure and that's not good for bearing life.

Think that our motors are mounted transverse. The oil pan is long from side to side, lots of room for the oil to slosh away. That's why we have fewer instances of breaking/acceleration starvation compared to S2000 but more left/right starvation.

The biggest weakness of working with Honda engines is the lack of OEM dry sumps. Accusump and baffles are the only cheap way to rectify the oiling issues.
    Last edited by cvjoint; September 26, 2019 at 04:09 PM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    @cvjoint, couple questions:

Which baffled K20 pan are you using?

How are you mounting your Accusump?

SAD
    Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Also, are you guys staying with the stock oil pump?

Country
    United States
    Mine is built by RealTime for HPD. I have no idea how it compares to the solutions available to the enthusiast. I just know it's not sufficient!

Accusump is mounted horizontal on the back hoop where the muffler usually sits on other Atoms.

Stock RSX K20a2 pump.

SAD
    Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Thx!

Country
    United States
    An alternative to Accusump. It was an option for the Atom 2 when built by Brammo. Welcome to Preoil.com

Country
    United States
    Moroso makes oil accumulators as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast