Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blackbird Fabworx Atom Aero Package

Country
    United States

Blackbird Fabworx Atom Aero Package

Hi folks!

Starting a new thread to show the progress on our Atom aero kit that we're currently developing on a customer car, as I mentioned in my intro thread

The project is a multi stage process, and our first installment is getting a front and rear wings on the car.
    Unlike the factory pieces that are known to have very little effect on the performance of the car, we're aiming for some seriously reduced lap times.
    The wings are going to be big, the mounts are solid and will support the many hundreds of Lbs. of downforce that we're going to put through them.

We have most of the design work on mounting solutions done at this point for both front and rear, and today we ran some tests to determine optimal wing location for the rear wing -

We'll update as we go along.
    Expecting to have the airfoils themselves ordered early next week, as soon we have all the CAD drawings for the mounts done, pieces come back from waterjet etc..
    Cheers!

Moti

Country
    United States
    Time for a quick update!
    The wings for the car have finally arrived from APR on Friday and we were able to continue the process of designing the brackets to support the front wing.
    Ignore the end plates in the pic, they are there for mock up purposes only. The final end plates will be designed differently.
    Most of the elements of the kit are already programmed and will be sent to production in the next day or two

Very cool! Any more pics of the rear wing setup?

Thanks,

Chris

Country
    United States
    Thanks!
    I was going to say, 80+ views and no one had something to say, tough crowd @ AAC

We'll have the rear setup on the car shortly.
    The rear uprights in the pic in the previous post were borrowed off of one of our race cars for experimental purposes.
    The uprights that the Atom aero kit will be getting are not too far off in design, though no need for 20 different sets of holes to adjust mounting height like our race car
    More updates coming soon!

Great thanks! Any heads up on what they will look like?...will they be solid versions of what's shown in the pic above?

Thanks,

Chris

Country
    United States
    Mostly solid but we'll have our logo cut into the bottom section.
    The uprights will have rounded corners on the front and knife edged trailing edge, similarly to the uprights of our race car in the pic above (though the one that was clamped on the driver side was clamped backwards, on purpose).
    Taking material out of the upright at the top section adds drag and weakens it, and we're shooting to make a good chunk of downforce so the weight savings are not worth it in this case.

Country
    United States
    Rear wing chassis mounts, going to be sent to powder coating on Monday -

These will bolt right up.
    The length helps distribute the load to a long section to prevent damage to the tube structure, 2 of the 3 clamps are located right next to a joint to distribute the load even further.
    This is different than most mounts I have looked at which load to a very narrow section, or to the center of a tube, or both..

Can't wait to show you guys the whole thing bolted to the car

Country
    United States
    Are those supports steel or aluminum?
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    The chassis mounts are Steel, the uprights (not pictured) are Aluminum.

Country
    United States
    What do they weigh?
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast