Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blackbird Fabworx Atom Aero Package

Country
    United States
    No doubt, but at that point you increase the pricing further by $400 from the other vendor that quoted my customer $8k on their kit already..
    $7845 for the DF500 starts sounding like a bargain

Up Quark
    Country
    Canada
    Hey, you know how much that is in Canadian dollars? That's ridiculous and I'll make 'em myself. $14,000.00. Ha.
    RyanD likes this.

Country
    United States
    Heh..
    You know, that question can easily be turned around asking you why you bought an Atom.
    I mean c'mon, some steel tubing, an engine from a luke warm econobox and an assortment of parts that you can get from browsing speed shop catalogs, you can probably bang that one out too, no?
    But there's no need for that, so instead I'll give you a real answer.

Years ago I used to work in a race shop that was building pro level touring cars at the time.
    The shop was hired by an OEM to build and run the official race team for said OEM, in which $2x,xxx cars were turned into $250K+ pro level race cars.
    ~10 times the price tag did not buy you a monsterous V8 engine, it was still the 4 banger that came out of the original car.
    It didn't buy you fancy body work with all kinds of trickery under the surface, most of it was just lightened OEM sheet metal panels and the only part that was replaced was just a simple carbon hood, and even that one retained OEM shape.
    I can go on about it, but the point here is that what you did get for the money is a well thought out machine with a lot of custom details that made it go really fast and keep the driver in one piece when things go south.
    It might have looked like the same econobox with a fancy paint job and an aggressive alignment but it worked like magic.

The aero kit we designed for the Atom has many small details in it that are easy to overlook but take knowledge, time and skill to achieve.
    Take one detail like a front end plate as an example.
    Could we just take a piece of bare aluminum, stick it in a sheet metal foot shear, chop it into shape in a sec, drill two holes in it and call it done?
    We could, but we pride in what we do and that why everything was accurately measured, programmed, water jet cut, deburred, precision bent into the exact shape and radius, powder coated and then fitted with a replaceable rub strip using quality hardware.

Some people may appreciate the details, some don't.
    There's no need to be pointy about it.
    Last edited by Blackbird Fabworx; September 19, 2015 at 10:25 PM.

Country
    United States
    I too would like to thank you for coming out and supporting the Atom. I bought the Atom to have fun. It's a toy and is certainly not the fastest dedicated track toy available, which is one reason why I was never interested in a wing package. The wings do a lot for the aesthetics, but I've never seen an aero package quantified on an Atom which would help the engineer in me justify it from a cost/benefit perspective. For myself, I have to wonder how much more I would benefit from $5000-$8000 in track time/tires/fuel/brakes vs an aero package. I suspect the "driver mod" is the better investment, but for those with the coin who appreciate both the aesthetics as well as the additional performance (potential?) then hey, more power to them.

The heart wants what the heart wants and less is more am I right?
    Norm likes this.

Country
    United States
    The car will be at the track next weekend.

n00b
    Country
    United States
    I may have to drive down to Laguna Seca so I can check out this bad piece of machinery!

Country
    United States
    The event the Atom is going to is next weekend at Buttonwillow raceway with NCRC, the event at Laguna is the weekend after and it's not related to it.
    But you are more than welcome to come and check my own piece of machinery there
    This one -

Country
    United States
    Received a question on a PM regarding chord length of both main and secondary elements.
    Main element chord length is 10", secondary element chord length is 4".

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Any updates from the track day?

Country
    United States
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast