Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Blackbird Fabworx Atom Aero Package

Country
    United States
    At least with the front wing, you can tell right away that it doesn't do much because it's connected to the nose cone.
    Any serious amount of down force would break the thing.

Up Quark
    Country
    UK
    Ariel optimised and designed their offering in the wind tunnel and it's not attached to the nose cone.

Stop bashing the opposition and stick to your perceived benefits of your products !

Country
    United States
    Wow. Didn't mean to anger you.
    I wasn't bashing anyone and clearly wrote that I don't have personal experience with the factory setup.
    From every pic that I see there are visible attachment points at the tip of the nose cone.
    If there's some additional form of attachment, I stand corrected.
    Maybe Ariel optimized the wings in a wind tunnel, but from everything that I have read about the factory wings it seems like there's a consensus about their limited contribution to the performance.
    Last edited by Blackbird Fabworx; September 4, 2015 at 07:27 AM.

Country
    United States
    The front wing is attached to the steel skeletal frame structure extension that also supports the fiberglass nose cone.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Roger that, and as said, I stand corrected.
    The car in front of me does not have such frame, therefore I was not sure.

Country
    United States
    I thought all Atoms had the extension frame forward of the radiator. Hmm. Maybe it was only used for cars with the tow hook or aero option? Without that sub frame..the only thing holding on that cone would be the 4-6 small allen screws. (at least on my Atom2's..)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; September 4, 2015 at 07:39 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    That's exactly what the SRA that we have here has, the nose cone held by 5 little button head bolts.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird Fabworx View Post
    At least with the front wing, you can tell right away that it doesn't do much because it's connected to the nose cone. Any serious amount of down force would break the thing.
    Here are a few photos of the framework that holds the wing that I'd found on the web in the past, although I can no longer remember where they're from. I suspect the last photo with the mesh in front of the radiator might be Bolus's car.

front mount.jpgfront wing mount.jpggrill2.jpg

Back in the Brammo Atom 2 years, it was my understanding that the framework that holds the wing was installed only if you chose the tow hook or front wing option. If you didn't order either of those during assembly of your car, that piece wouldn't be there. I know this much because my car came without one and I had Brammo install it when my car was there for service, prior to the fab & installation of my wings.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Thanks.
    Looks like there were at least 2 versions of the mounts.

We designed our own mounts to allow installation on any Atom, looking for consistency between cars for easy cross over.
    We also wanted to use a wider 2D airfoil which seems a bit more prone to destruction if placed under the nose as the factory wing (why they did a narrower 3D wing), so the placement of the wing in our kit is quite different.

Country
    United States
    Hi everyone!

We finished the work on the car today.
    I'll write a full post tomorrow with all the info about the kit, pricing etc.. But for now I just want to give you guys a taste of the finished product
    Here's the kit in both versions, the DF1000X that uses the dual element GT-1000 wings and the DF500 kit that runs the GT-250 single element -

Oh yeah, we decided to test the front wing and mount with 350 Lbs of downforce

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast