Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sporty car for around $70k?

Country
    United States
    I would leave the GT350R engine alone..once you drive one you will understand.If it an't broke..don't fix it. Ford really got it right! The power band is just about perfect and VERY wide. A tiny bit more torque under 3500rpms would be nice…BUT there is SO much room between 3500 and 8200rpms there really is no need to be down that low anyways. Rarely does anyone use more than 500HP on track unless you are going in a straight line. It's mostly bragging rights while bench racing, when all that HP counts…

All those cars you plan on testing are well above $70k…unless you buy used..however the maintenance/repair costs are still going to be based on a >$100k car..something I do consider for my toys.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 5, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post

All those cars you plan on testing are well above $70k…unless you buy used..however the maintenance/repair costs are still going to be based on a >$100k car..something I do consider for my toys.
    2015 GT-R is $75k
    2015 C6 Z06 is $75k
    R8 V8 is $70k
    R8 V10 is in the upper $80k's
    2014 F-Type V8 S is $75k brand new or $65k used

Depreciation is as important as maintenance costs. Mustangs don't generally hold their value very well. Maybe the GT350R will though.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    2015 GT-R is $75k
    2015 C6 Z06 is $75k
    R8 V8 is $70k
    R8 V10 is in the upper $80k's
    2014 F-Type V8 S is $75k brand new or $65k used

Depreciation is as important as maintenance costs. Mustangs don't generally hold their value very well. Maybe the GT350R will though.
    Very funny…none of those cars can be found new for those prices…especially last years models..and especially if you are picky about colors,options etc..

R8 V10s are $150k and up…not even close to $80k,unless they are salvage..

Shelby Mustangs don't depreciate like regular Mustangs, especially when they are taken care of (like most are..) and low mileage. A good friend just sold his 2013 Boss 302 for what he paid new in 2013, so he can buy a new GT350. He made the mistake of driving the new GT350...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 5, 2015 at 08:57 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Very funny…none of those cars can be found new for those prices…especially last years models..and especially if you are picky about colors,options etc..
    Who said anything about new? Why would I want to lose 5 figures the moment I drove off the lot?

I think you're shopping in the wrong places...

Brand new F-Type V8 S for $79k, and they keep dropping. I've seen some for even less. Used ones are into the low $60k's.
    Used Jaguar F-TYPE For Sale Noblesville, IN - CarGurus

2015 C7 Z06 with 1300 miles for $78,800.
    2015 Chevrolet Corvette For Sale in Noblesville, IN - CarGurus

2015 GT-R for $74,900. I've seen brand new ones for right at $80k.
    Used Nissan GT-R For Sale Noblesville, IN - CarGurus

2011 R8 V10 for $88,500. Says it's a manufacturer buyback after 45k miles. I wonder if it didn't pass CA emissions. If that's the case, I couldn't care less.
    Used 2011 Audi R8 For Sale | Des Plaines IL

Country
    United States
    Ok..you win. Would you really consider paying $88,500 for a 5 year old lemon? (That's what a mfg. buyback is..)

The pricing for the brand new 2016 GT350Rs are official..$63k. Might just have to get me one of those puppies..Race red with no striping. R8's won't be a problem..Hell,they aren't even a problem for my Ford Focus…

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    The pricing for the brand new 2016 GT350Rs are official..$63k. Might just have to get me one of those puppies..Race red with no striping. R8's won't be a problem..Hell,they aren't even a problem for my Ford Focus…
    You're assuming that I care about lap times. If I did, I would be looking at a completely different list of cars. I might track whatever I get once or twice, but that's not its purpose.

Here is a nicer 2011 R8 V10 for $95k. Original MSRP was $174k.
    Audi R8 5.2L | Evan Paul

The F-Type is really nice for the current prices though. I was quite impressed with it. I think Jaguar's history is keeping the prices down.
    Here is one for $61,500 with a clean CarFax. If I had the cash ready, it would be hard to resist.
    Used 2014 Jaguar F-Type for Sale in Memphis TN 38115 Mt. Moriah Auto Sales

Country
    United States
    Jags are nice..but only as long as someone else owns it….
    I bought the wife a 2014 Fusion Titanium the other day…14k miles..Ruby Red Pearl, AWD, 2.0L turbo, paddle shift…with all the do-dads,leather,screens,Sync etc etc.. for $24k. I was amazed how snappy and sporty it drove…how nice the brakes were and the handling was spot on. 30-35mpg,good looks (my opinion) damn good performance and very affordable to buy and operate.
    Considering the high priced cars I have been in this year….some north of $250k….I have to ask myself…why? Why pay any more than $24k?
    I guess it's all relative to what someone feels they need to spend for what they get in return.
    Does anyone really need a Veyron? Will they ever use it to its potential? Does it matter?
    Convincing someone an Atom is "worth" more than $40k is along a similar mindset, as all they see is a glorified go-cart… so I can understand their dilemma.

Of all the cars on your list, I'd do the Corvette. But that's just me…

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Jags are nice..but only as long as someone else owns it….
    That's what CPO warranties are for.

Jaguar wasn't ranked by Consumer Reports this year (probably didn't sell enough cars), but Volvo did surprisingly well. Maybe that bodes well for the new Jags.
    Consumer Reports best and worst car brands in 2015 include Lexus, Mazda and Toyota | Newsday

Car & Driver had pretty good luck with their Jag after 40,000 miles.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...rm-wrap-review
    Last edited by RyanD; November 5, 2015 at 05:53 PM.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Here is a nice Audi R8 V10 for under $88k. One interesting thing about the R8 is that it is one of the last true exotics with a manual gear box. There are manual F430's also, but not very many.

Audi R8 | eBay

F430 for $85k. CarFax shows one accident in 2007. It has a roll cage though...
    Used 2007 Ferrari 430 Berlinetta Coupe RWD for sale in Florida

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    Here is a nice Audi R8 V10 for under $88k. One interesting thing about the R8 is that it is one of the last true exotics with a manual gear box. There are manual F430's also, but not very many.

Audi R8 | eBay

F430 for $85k. CarFax shows one accident in 2007. It has a roll cage though...
    Used 2007 Ferrari 430 Berlinetta Coupe RWD for sale in Florida

audi v8 is slow as balls

f430 is great, if you are cool paying $2500 for any little plastic part that breaks....ever.

One reason I did not go buy a 2005 gallardo (or equivalent) Sure you can save $150k over new price, but repairs are going to cost the same on a used car as a new car and that's too rich for my blood

bought a 2009 cts-v, modded it a little, raced a 2015 aventador and a 2014 aventador and we're dead even.....may no be the fastest car in my group of friends, but that's quite an achievement for 10% the cost of an aventador

and I picked up a 1970 camaro fully restored, and did a few tweaks

IMO that's a better way to spend $70k

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast