Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What sporty car for around $70k?

Have you bought an Atom yet??

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S is already in the mid-60's. That seems like a lot of car for that price.

I test drove a Maserati GT 4.2 just to see how they feel. Pretty nice car. They also had a gorgeous V8 Vantage convertible for $65k.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Drove an Audi R8 V8 yesterday. Really fun to drive. It felt like a proper exotic compared to the muscle car feel of the F-Type V8. Now I need to try a V10.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Tried a GT-R. It seemed to be modified some, so I'm not sure how it compares to a stock one. Pretty nice car and makes a lot of noise. The transmission seemed slow to respond, but I may have had it in the wrong mode.

It's amazing that several cars can have very similar performance and yet feel completely different to drive. I think that will be the greatest loss in the change to electric cars.

Country
    United States
    I got to drive a new GT350R at Limerock recently.Very impressive!! If I were going to spend $60-70k on a street car..that would be my choice.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    ...I think that will be the greatest loss in the change to electric cars.
    I'll probably get in trouble for even suggesting it, but you could get a used Tesla S for about that price... I saw a dyno once of the "power to the wheel" and it was well over 400hp. With ~400hp "off idle" with some clever SW to control traction could make for a sporty vehicle. I'm not saying it's a wise purchase from a business or infant technology standpoint, but neither is a Maserati.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    The high revving V8 in the GT350 is definitely cool. That's what I liked about the R8. The R8 feels like a true exotic, and the V8's are down to the $70k range. That's Ferrari 360 money for what is probably a better overall car.

I think the best overall bang for the buck might be the 2014 F-Type V8 S convertible for under $70k. I couldn't find anything to complain about, and they make ~600HP easy. It feels like a refined muscle car. I would be worried that the prices will just keep dropping though. Brand new 2014's are still available for $20k off sticker.

Country
    United States
    The motor is very cool in the GT350R,but the overall performance package was what really impressed me. The brakes will literally put you through the windshield,over and over again..zero fade..perfect feel..and the magnetic suspension is something you have to experience to believe.It reacts to the needs of the car before you can..absorbing bumps that would put most cars into a spin.The Uphill section at Limerock is a very tricky part of the track,and if you don't hit it just right,your car will twist or yaw when unweighting,usually sending you into the Armco on the settle. Try as I may..I could NOT get the GT350R to become "upset"...the suspension just made adjustments to keep the balance as even as possible.The new IRS rear end really sold me.I could not disturb it all day..even climbing curbs that I really didn't need to be on (hey,it wasn't my car…it was a Ford demo day) The car feels more like a 2K.lb car than a 3400lb car. It truly is the most well rounded street/track performance car I have ever driven..bone stock,even the tires! (it comes on very wide,sticky Michelin Pilot Sport cups) Plus it is kind of a sleeper...as it is "only" a Mustang…

I like the Awdie R8..cool looks and sound great (especially the V10) but have seen too many issues for me to ever consider owning one.(I run with ACNA at least 12 times a year and the transmission failures,cooling issues and other problems on R8s are too frequent for my performance tastes.)

Love the look of the Jags..but that's about it,although they do smell nice..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; November 5, 2015 at 06:44 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    All of the new Mustangs seem like great cars. I'm curious to see what tuners do with the GT350R considering what they are getting out of the Coyote 5.0 motors.

What I'd really like to get is something like this. I think I could drive it for 2-3 years with minimal depreciation. It sounds like F430 maintenance isn't that bad compared to the earlier models.
    2005 Ferrari 430 for Sale in Goshen | Elkhart-Goshen Area Dealership

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I'm going here later this month.
    EXOTICS RACING School, The Ultimate Supercar Driving Experience | Homepage

From the cars they have, I think I'm going to try the GT-R, R8 V10, F430, and C7 Z06. Hopefully, I can find some other short term rentals on the strip.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast