Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to buy Atom in next few days.... need to take a poll!!!!!

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Going to buy Atom in next few days.... need to take a poll!!!!!

Okay I am about to pull the trigger, but I am still not 100% set in stone with my current decision. My original intent was to purchase a K24 naturally aspirated Atom 3 and have a shop (guys there are top notch) install a turbo kit making about 650 hp (about 500 whp). It was clear to me that I would have to have a brand new engine extensively rebuilt using premium parts to handle the boost and I am completely fine with that. I got mixed reviews about whether I would have to beef up the transmission or not so I had already had it set in my mind that I was going to spend $3,000 to completely redo the transmission to handle the added power and torque. All of those expenses were adding up on top of the turbo kit and custom installation (ECU, tuning, fuel injectors etc etc) and I did all of the calculations and got full estimates from 2 shops and was content with the total amount.
    At this point my only concern was once I am ready to move on to something different as I have serious car ADD that finding a buyer that wanted to purchase a modified car such as mine would be impossible as they would be afraid that something was not done correctly or that it was a ticking time bomb. The last thing that I want is to invest tons of money into a beautiful machine that I cannot sell when I want to move on to something different. I understand that I will not get 100% of the money back that I put into the mods.... that is not my concern.
    On the same token, I am thinking...... "who the hell would not want a badass 650 hp Ariel Atom 3 that was done professionally, motor was built by one of the best K engine builders on the East Coast, even the transmission was beefed up, and everything was done with no money spared." Maybe I am being a bit ignorant????
    I have talked to two really awesome guys that are highly regarded in the Ariel Atom world and both of them have strongly advised against this route especially given resale. I hate to say this, but I do agree with them. With that being said I did want to ask the wonderful forum members what they thought? If I do not go this route then I will more than likely purchase a supercharged K24 Atom 3 and maybe tweak it a little bit as opposed to wildly modifying it.
    So here goes....... WOULD YOU PURCHASE A 2015 Ariel Atom 3 that had a turbo kit on it pushing 500 hp at the wheels given that everything was done professionally with no money spared using only the very best parts?
    1) Heck yes, I would..... what is cooler than a 650 hp Atom!
    2) Not sure.... it would depend on what else is on the market.
    3) Absolutely not, that thing would blow up any second now!

Your input would be appreciated as I am leaning towards just playing it safe and getting a factory supercharged K24 Atom 3. If I knew that resale would not be a factor I would go the turbo route in a heartbeat!

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I don't push my 300 HP atom enough as is, I can't imagine I would need another 200 HP. I am not in the demographic of people who would buy a 500 HP Atom.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I realize that 99% of us do not need another 200-300 hp, but that is what I like....... an orgy of excess lol. The fact that it is completley unnecessary is what makes it fun for me!

Country
    United States
    You really won't be able to "use" 650hp in an Atom; it's scary nervous at speeds over 135mph...(NO aero) so all that HP isn't going to help at 165mph while you are shitting your pants trying to keep the car on the ground.

It is VERY limited on mechanical grip (tires) as there is very little downforce,so most of that HP will be tire smoke.

If you "need" the 650hp number to be a 'happy" owner..so be it.

Personally, 300whp in an Atom is just about the maximum the chassis is able to handle with any grace. (unless your name is Eddie Hill.. )
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    @madmaxatom.... Your post made me laugh!
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. I want something that will make me shit my pants. All of the cargo space that I need is room for my Depends!!! Lol
    For what it is worth, no matter what I get I am getting the aero package either from Ciro or Skunkwerks. Also, I am getting 275 tires in the rear so that will help a bit in the traction department. I know regardless of what kind of aero package and fat tires I put in there; traction will always be a big issue.
    Mario Andreii is my next door neighbor and he is going to give me driving lessons. Mario said with a few lessons I will make quick work of Eddie Hill!!!! Lol just kidding guys!
    Last edited by Elonheater32; July 10, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Elonheater32 View Post
    @madmaxatom.... You post made me laugh!
    I think you hit the nail right on the head. I want something that will make me shit my pants. All of the cargo space I need is room for my Depends!!! Lol
    For what it is worth, no matter what I get I am getting the aero package either from Ciro or Skunkwerks. Also, I am getting 275 tires in the rear so that will help a bit in the traction department.
    Mario Andreii is my next door neighbor and he is going to give me driving lessons. Mario said with a few lessons I will make quick work of Eddie Hill!!!! Lol just kidding guys!

Mario Andretti! You could at least spell his name correctly!

Even though I think you are pulling our legs…just bringing him up in conversation is fine!

One of my favorite Mario quotes: "If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"

Also…"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

If I were buying a new Atom3 I would probably go for the S/C 2.4L.

If I had gobs of money,and buying a new Atom, I would go for the Atom3.5 turbo with sequential shift.

However…back to reality…my Atom2s are more than fun…they are family.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; July 10, 2015 at 12:43 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Mario Andretti..... I stand corrected and of course I am just messing with you guys about my next door neighbor
    If I was okay with spending $100,000 on an Atom 3 then the 3S is such an awesome car. Last time I was at VIR I was able to go for a ride in it and wow! I honestly could not tell much of a difference until 40+ mph and then whoa!!!!

Country
    United States
    ANY Ariel Atom is better than no Ariel Atom…

Country
    United States
    Just to answer your poll question - I would buy a 3S and if I had the cash, the SADEV box as well. I can just imagine a 40ms shift. And put CIRO wings on it. Done. I want to pull the trigger, but the damn thing is hard on the wallet. Considering that I just paid off my E92 M3 loan. In this case, I would imagine the thing will sell like a hotcake if you wanted to sell and move on.

3rd option for me.
    Last edited by cacofonix; July 10, 2015 at 03:34 PM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    @cacofonix, I just sold my E92 M3...... what an awesome machine! Just don't test drive the new F80 or F82 because you will be hooked!
    As far as the 3S goes I have a couple concerns other than the obvious (cost). First, if I purchase the 3S brand new and then decide to sell in 12 months I think that there could be a potential loss of $20,000 which is something that I am not comfortable with.
    Second, after a year or so once the used 3S starts to surface on the market.... will the value of a supercharged k24 Atom 3 crash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast