Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need help on wing selections.......

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Need help on wing selections.......

I am hoping in the next couple weeks to have an Ariel Atom 3. All 3 of the Atoms that I am looking at do not have wings. I am 100% set on having a rear wing and am a bit hesitant on the front wing as it will be street driven. I am concerned that the front wing lowers the ground clearance and is at risk of damage from speed bumps, pulling in parking lots, etc.
    I will probably take the Atom to 2 or 3 track days a year so it will not be used extensively for the track. The main reason I am getting the wing is for looks otherwise the Atom looks much like a buggy in my opinion.
    From what I have seen on this forum and researched on Google here is what I have found for the rear wing......
    Skunkwerks offers 3 wings
    Starter $700
    Solo $930
    Slick $1090

I really like their wings as it contours quite a bit like the factor Atom wings do.

The other option that I saw was the Ciro Racing wing which I saw was going for $1600 in the group buy. The one thing I do not like about it is that it does not contour like the factory Atom wings. Do any of you guys have experience with either the Skunkwerks or Ciro wings? Are there other companies that I am missing as my research as only turned up with those two companies?

Second question is in regards to the front wing. It will be driven on the street often and I am just concerned that it will be ripped off or damaged by speed bumps, pulling in parking lots, or a dip in the roads that will put it directly in contact with the asphalt. Maybe I am being overly cautious and this can be avoided by simple common sense, but wanted to get personal feedback from you guys as far as how the front wing impacts your driving on the streets.

Thanks a ton!!!

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have the factory front and rear, over 10K miles on the street. Road is not the problem (bumps, dips, rail roads etc.). My front wing was tore off by a bed cover dropped by someone on the freaking highway after only 2 months with the car. replaced it and never had a problem since.

Country
    United States
    I believe I am going with the CIRO wing. They are now CF and the photos I have been sent today show quality and sound engineering. Yes, expensive..but what isn't that is of professional quality and custom built to fit the Atom? Atom owners don't have many choices,if any.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Ok now I feel a bit better about driving on the streets with the front wing. Question for you @madmaxatom.... How come you decided to go with the Ciro wing over the skunkwerks? Do you think the planar and straight lines of the Ciro wing compliments the Atom better or are you basing your choice purely on quality? I would like to know your thought process of how you selected the Ciro over the others.
    I think that the curved wing of the Skunkwerks wing goes great with the Atom, but I also think that the Ciro looks maybe a bit more badass?????

Country
    United States
    I don't own an Atom, but thinking of getting a 3S. I would go for both front and rear. Especially if the wing is not purely there for looks. If you have any downforce on the rear, you want to balance it with a front wing as well to whatever extent. I would go with functional wings (usually the functional ones also look more badass - because they have more surface area), as opposed to more ornamental ones.

Not sure which of these have the most downforce/drag profile. How about GoodAero? Did you consider them? (GOODAero LLC — Thoughtfully designed aerodynamics for racing cars).

This document is very interesting. Especially pages starting from #8. Gives you an idea of the downforce and drag you can expect by adding the wing.
    http://cirodesignracing.com/wp-conte...al-element.pdf

Also, a question that I have:

How difficult is it to mount these wings once they are shipped? i.e. what are the tools/expertise required to mount them?
    Last edited by cacofonix; July 10, 2015 at 02:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    CIRO emailed me with excellent information and pictures,and I believe their wing has been through real world testing,not just cad cam theory.

Their loading graph is exactly what I needed to see in regards to my needs.

I have driven on track for thousands of miles and have done so with and without factory wings and dozens of different tires. In my actual hands on experience in the real world, with two different Atoms, a front spoiler is not necessary,but a rear adding about 200lbs of downforce at 90mph,should give just about the right balance to my car.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; July 10, 2015 at 05:38 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    @cacofonix, I took a ride in an Atom 3S a while ago and that thing is nuts! Both of the wing manufactors say that installation is extremely simple and only takes 20 mins.
    @madmaxatom, thanks for the input! I am very curious as to if Ciro has a picture of their wing 5" higher over the roll bar as opposed to their normal under the roll bar location. I would be very interested in how this changes the look (if it makes it look more aggressive) and also if it generates more downforce due to getting cleaner air.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I think we have put the GoodAero wings through some real world testing with the One Lap Atom , Max.

Country
    United States
    ^ I like their design..but I didn't see a kit for the Atom on their website and I was looking for a bolt-on rear setup. I was mostly trying to say I haven't found a need for a front wing as my car does not push or lock front tires even at race track speeds....so for me..back wing only.(Front wing will only add unnecessary drag) The Atom2 difference will require some tweaking of the CIRO Atom3 setup to be a bolt-on..but looks to be easily do-able. The new track I am running at has one corner in particular where I need that additional rear downforce..I think it will take a full two seconds off my overall times there,and make the car easier to drive. Win win! (and will look cool too..)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; July 11, 2015 at 08:59 PM.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I have emailed Ciro and have not heard back. I am very interested in how their wing would look like with their 5" extension which puts it above the roll bar for cleaner air. Anyone got pictures?!?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast