Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Need help on wing selections.......

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    @MadMaxAtom did your wings come in yet?

Country
    United States
    The actual wing is here..but am patiently awaiting the rest of the package..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Let me know what you think as I am ready to order some wings!

Country
    United States
    Parts arrived and wing is on.Pretty excited about it..looks great. I am off to Whiskey Hill raceway tomorrow and will take some action snaps. The weather is going to be 80+ degrees and sunny,so should be a very good comparison since the last time I was there wingless the weather was identical. This has been a good summer for Max and the track!

8/14..Delay of game…I decided to brace the rear tea tray frame hoop to the roll bar support,so no track day today… Once the wing was in place,and the urethane fully cured,and I started yanking on the end of the wing with some force..the amount of flex seen on the frame hoop was noticeable and I did not want to risk possible future breakage.Adding the brace is a simple bolt on. Vibration is an evil thing.Whenever you can eliminate it,you do so. Racing is tough of parts.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; August 15, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
    jlester likes this.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Elonheater32 View Post
    Let me know what you think as I am ready to order some wings!
    You might want to wait just a few more days as our aero package is nearing completion, the last parts are coming from the machine shop on Monday and everything goes to powder coating
    We already took into account the issue that MadMax encountered and made the rear wing bracket load a much longer section to prevent breakage issue on the rear hoop, see pic in the linked thread.
    Best part of all, the entire kit is a bolt on deal.
    No drilling, no rigging, no problem solving.
    Take it out of the box, bolt on, enjoy!

Should be on the car before this time next week

Country
    United States
    Unless your mount solidly connects the rear tea tray hoop to the roll cage supports, spreading the load across the hoop won't help: it will flex when handling >200lbs of force.
    Also to consider, the Ciro wing I ordered is 71" wide and 5" taller than the standard mounting position,so more leverage is being exerted on the the tea tray hoop. So,it must be supported to something more substantial,and the roll bar rear support tubes are right there. A simple unboltable brace on each (using the same spilt collar style clamps) will easily take care of the issue,and I also believe reduce a lot of the hoops normal (wingless) harmonics that it pick up from the exhaust/muffler system.
    Normally,I am sure these additional braces are not necessary (for road use,occasional track) but for severe race track duty you must think times 3 over normal for strength and durability.
    I went back and looked at Fourfathers setup (tall!) and noticed he is using the light plate mounting area to support his load. It is lower, and makes the vertical wing mounts taller,but as long as you brace them diagonally,works well. (no tea tray hoop braces necessary)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; August 15, 2015 at 11:57 AM.

Country
    United States
    Spreading the load across the hoop does nothing for being able to support the load, seeing that it is vertical.
    Our chassis mount drops much further down, just above to the lower chassis joint.
    The first thing we did was to look at everything that was already available for the chassis and relying on the small hoop appeared to be a common mistake, right up there with loading the centers of tubes instead of right next to good strong joints.
    The easiest thing for us was to weld some tabs on the chassis and bolt directly to them, but we wanted to be able to offer the kit as a direct bolt on, so we went to great lengths designing brackets that will bolt on directly to the car and require nothing more than basic hand tools to put together.
    The kit will be available with complete set of crystal clear instructions as well, so not much to go wrong

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Hey guys (Blackbird and MadMaxAtom).... Ciro feel free to chime in. I am unsure of the issues that you guys are talking about as far as the hoop and tea tray. Could you guys further specify. My Atom does not have a wing yet (obviously) and I do not have an Atom to look at in person that has a wing so it is difficult to see what issues you guys are talking about.
    MadMaxAtom.... take a picture!!! I am very anxious to see how it looks! Also, I want to order the areo kit in a pair (front and rear). I looked at Skunkwurxs and looks like they are advertising that they do have a front wing, but no price or picture?
    I really do want something that I can get both the front and rear from the same company. Thanks guys!!!

Country
    United States
    When you look at the back of the car you see a small hoop made out of a 1" tube (the one with the upper brake light), this is the one referred to as the tea tray hoop.
    In some of the cars the engine fairing (AKA tea tray) extends to that hoop.
    This hoop is not supported in any way front to back.

If you look at the structure underneath said hoop, it is far more robust, supported in all directions, uses bigger tubing and well triangulated.
    Just what you want to connect a wing to
    The rear legs of the roll bar are also a good place to connect the wing to, but we decided to avoid them because not all cars have them and our goal was to make a direct bolt in kit.

Country
    United States
    Took Max out for some field maneuvers and shot these today…

CIMG4755.jpg

CIMG4760.jpg

For all "normal" driving, the Ciro wing kit is complete, and fits perfectly.(with or without optional track roll bar)

I really like how minimal all the framework is,the lightweight components and how clean it all looks on the car.

I chose not to paint the uprights or wing end plates and left them raw aluminum.

Better than factory in my opinion..and I do own a factory Ariel wing setup as well.

I think I even managed to get some heat into those race slicks….donuts in the grass was pretty easy..
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; August 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast