Thread: Can you convert a spec race Atom into a street legal Atom?

Fermion
    Country
    United States

Can you convert a spec race Atom into a street legal Atom?

Hey guys..... I have read a post in the past (cannot find the post anymore) where it explained why you cannot convert a Race Spec Atom into a street legal Atom. Other than installing e-brake, headlights, rollbar, etc.... why could this not be done? Or have I been misinformed?

Thanks!!!

Electron
    Country
    United States
    it just depends which State you're in really, it's not an engineering issue it's a paperwork issue.

Gluon
    Country
    American Samoa
    What is the paperwork issue?
    Motor vehicle registration or TMI paperwork issue?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    There would be some 'engineering issues involved. SRA cars are specifically designed & built to be race/slalom/autocross cars. By design, they lack numerous features that would typically be required for a road-legal version. But then not too much is impossible for someone with enough time & will! TMI doesn't support conversions of SRA cars to road-legal cars.

Gluon
    Country
    American Samoa
    Having driven both (SRA & Street Atom), I wish i have an SRA chassis. They are stiff but I don't mind because the car is really for racing.
    In my opinion, the SRA chassis 30% more stronger than the street version. In unfortunate situation (rollover), I have a better chance in the SRA chassis.
    If you can convert the SRA chassis to street atom, I think its has more value vs the street Atom. I think the SRA gas tank is steel not aluminum???

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    I really like the roll over protection that the SRA has.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    it will be pretty easy to convert the SRA to street atom but you will spend big money for parts, the rest you can be innovative and used some aftermarket.
    The Sra has some features that the street atom don't have. Beside a strong chassis, yes the gas tank is steel and has a baffled foam inside. Some SRA are fitted with video box - GPS and mylaps unit (transponder). Has multiple nozzles for fire extinguisher.