Thread: differences between US & UK atoms

Country
    United Arab Emirates

differences between US & UK atoms

hi every one,
    proud to say that i successfully managed to register my atom 3.5 in the UAE, and was wondering what are the differences between UK & US atoms apart from the drivetrain; ecotec vs honda.. and I'm particularly interested in wheel hub/ differences? appreciate all the info that comes forth..
    swaini
    proud for the hard earned.. Atom3.5, porsche 964/3.8L, defender 90/4.6L

Country
    United States
    Wow, congratulations! What was necessary to do that was such an obstacle for others?

Country
    United Arab Emirates
    hi mcfred,
    i had to get a royal family member to intervene. but in all honesty, i can totally relate to why the authorities aren't willing to register the atoms like any other vehicle ... especially after my first test drive... the atom is something else, and here in Dubai, young kids shouldn't be driving such a car unless they've been to some kinda driving /handling... education, which unfortunately we don't have. but that all aside, my experience introduced me to the other atom owners here.. theres 5 in total here. 2x atom 2, 1x atom 3, and my 3.5, hopefully a 3.5 r will surface soon.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Only the Atom2 built by Brammo in the US is distinctly different from the UK Atoms due to the Ecotec drivetrain, although a small number of K20 equipped Atoms (10-20 I hear) were also built here by Brammo apparently. Since the manufacturing in the US switched to TMI in 2008 they have been producing the Atom 3 with a Honda drivetrain similar to the UK. In 2012 though they switched to the K24 whilst the UK have continued with the K20. TMI also tried supercharging the K24 for a short time but now sell the Atom 3 as NA K24 and the Atom 3S as a Turbocharged K24. TMI of course also sell the SRA (Spec Race Atom with NA K24) as a track only car which the UK do not do. Other differences? I would guess all the UK built Atoms are tuned for much higher octane gas than we have available here, on the 91-93 octane here in the USA I doubt the Atom 3.5R from the UK would perform so well.

I'm not sure exactly where the current 3 and 3.5 Atoms differ or why TMI did not switch to a "3.5" name and spec either. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    Only the Atom2 built by Brammo in the US is distinctly different from the UK Atoms due to the Ecotec drivetrain, although a small number of K20 equipped Atoms (10-20 I hear) were also built here by Brammo apparently.
    13, of which I believe 9 had Spoon engines.

Brammo cars used a 4x100 pseudo-hubcentric hub pattern. I believe the UK and TMI cars share a different size, but don't remember it off the top of my head.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    Only the Atom2 built by Brammo in the US is distinctly different from the UK Atoms due to the Ecotec drivetrain, although a small number of K20 equipped Atoms (10-20 I hear) were also built here by Brammo apparently. Since the manufacturing in the US switched to TMI in 2008 they have been producing the Atom 3 with a Honda drivetrain similar to the UK. In 2012 though they switched to the K24 whilst the UK have continued with the K20. TMI also tried supercharging the K24 for a short time but now sell the Atom 3 as NA K24 and the Atom 3S as a Turbocharged K24. TMI of course also sell the SRA (Spec Race Atom with NA K24) as a track only car which the UK do not do. Other differences? I would guess all the UK built Atoms are tuned for much higher octane gas than we have available here, on the 91-93 octane here in the USA I doubt the Atom 3.5R from the UK would perform so well.

I'm not sure exactly where the current 3 and 3.5 Atoms differ or why TMI did not switch to a "3.5" name and spec either. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.

3.5 atom's signify the change in headlights, and front bonnet, also the windshield is now included in base price versus being an options before

I'm sure there's more changes those are just what I noticed

Country
    United Arab Emirates
    thanks for info guys,
    I'm planning upgrading the rear wheels to something custom, wide, 3 piece. ill search the forum for details, the name "bolus " is all over this subject, will contact him soon.