Thread: Atom is my Unicorn!

n00b
    Country
    United States

Atom is my Unicorn!

I've kept tabs on this forum for a while because I feel in love with the atom at first site. Ever since then I've dreamed of having a street legal, open wheeled, super car experience. I am now in my career of choice and am approaching the time when my dream my be a reality. Couple questions that need answering: I live in Vegas and would love to have this car as a daily driver for 1/3-1/2 the year. How plausible is that? What is the up keep on an atom entail? And what does insurance look like?

Gluon
    Country
    American Samoa
    sorry to disappoint you..... most atom owners here are not friendly users and tight lip about their atoms. You will not get any feedback.

Country
    United States
    Tight lipped and unfriendly? That seems harsh.

Every state's system is different so registration can be hit or miss. If there are no users here from that state then the rest of us are supposed to tell a potential owner how to register? There are not that many road-legal Atoms of which only a portion of owners participate on forums.

As far as insurance for an "daily driver" Atom that will be between your insurance provider and you. You can search the forums for potential providers or brute-force it like I did. I called 13 carriers before I found one who insured me for a year until their underwriter found out whereupon I was dropped then and there. I found another eventually and have been with them for the last 6+ years.

Here's a Nevada Ariel Atom. Contact the owner and get the dirt on insurance and registration.

As far as being ambiguous about registration and insurance, people have had their registrations and insurance revoked when someone who's been declined on their registration/insurance points a finger at others who're successful and says, "look at them, they're legal! Why not me?" then the others who helped find themselves with canceled registration/insurance. Is that not reason enough for being a little on guard? The precedent was set.

Many of the members here are original US purchasers who blazed a trail into unknown territory regarding road-legal Atoms, myself included. If you want an Atom badly enough then you will have the initiative to do the due diligence to make it happen with minimal guidance.

Sorry, if that's uninformative or unfriendly.
    Last edited by McFred; May 24, 2015 at 06:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    ^What he said. Loose lips sink ships.

Sadly, with a car like the Atom,it is a battle in most states RMVs to be allowed to drive one on their sacred roads,mainly because the square peg does not fit into their round holes. Of course you could use a big hammer…but most of the time,when dealing with authorities,this method does not work..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

n00b
    Country
    United States
    Thanx guys! That is a great beginning point for sure. I'll contact that Nevada owner to get the deal.

That is definitely a reason to be a little protective though. I have never found any thread on here that has child or unproductive though. You guys are awesome.

In regards to upkeep thought what is to be expected? Obviously how you drive it will effect this, but do you have to take it to certain mechanics? How often? And for what typically? It seems like being a Honda k series motor that it would be very reliable and relatively easy to work on except for its compact working area. Thanx again in advance.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    For Insurance, I use Rally Insurance (as do a lot of Atom owners, I think). It was way cheaper than I expected or Allstate has been screwing me on my primary insurance. heh I pay sixty-something/month or there abouts for $50k agreed upon value on my 2006 Atom 2. 3,000 mile/year. They have higher mileage tiers available as well.

My registration process doesn't really have a story. I targeted a previously registered Atom so it was just a simple transfer.