Thread: What is the market like as far as buying/selling an Atom 3?

Fermion
    Country
    United States

What is the market like as far as buying/selling an Atom 3?

Hey guys, what started as an itch to purchase an Ariel Atom 3 has now turned into a horrific itch!!! I am so close in purchasing one, but have a few reservations. One of the biggest reservations that I have about being an Atom 3 owner is the ability to sell when I would like to move on to something different.
    In the past, I have only kept my vehicles for approximately 12 months and then I sell them as I am eager to jump into something different. As I am looking in the classified sections I am getting a bit of a mixed review and wanted to ask you guys for your personal experience.
    Some of the ads for Atom 3 says that it was sold for full asking price on E-Bay within hours while others have had their listing for over a year before posting "sold". If I can have confidence that I can sell the Atom 3 within a reasonable amount of time (3 to 4 months) without going with a low ball offer then ownership of a Atom 3 would be very appealing to me. I was hoping that some of you guys could shed a bit light on this for me as I know that there are a very small amount of people out there looking for an Atom to purchase and just did not know how that would play into resell.

Thanks for any input you can give!!!

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    I can tell you how you advertise it makes a huge difference.

I was the original owner and my for sale ad listed the whole history of the car, to me on the atom, knowing this exact history is most valuable, especially on an atom 2.

The ones that sell for cheap, seem to have a basic listing and an owner who knows nothing about the car, barely drove it and is just selling it as a commodity rather then an extremely rare driving machine.

So it's up to you, when you list it 12 months after ownership, if you advertise it like any other car, you're going to get low money, if you present it with all it's benefits, history, maintenance, updates, upgrades, performance, blah blah blah, you're going to attract a more persnickety buyer and therefore get better money.

Country
    United States
    Lots of detailed pictures helps too as well as the time of year. Not a lot of people get these cars to go drive through snow.

Having it titled, registered and insured is another perk. It can take some of the guesswork out of ownership that others aren't willing to pursue.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for your input! I am all about being thorough as far as history and pictures when I am selling my vehicles. I was curious as to what the demand was for the Atoms. Should I expect to have it for sale for 6 months before someone purchases it or are there so few available that I should be able to sell if within a couple months of the price is right?
    There is just so little information available to me and the classified section of this message board gets extremely little action so that concerned me a little bit.

Country
    United States
    You'll find it's all over the board.

Someone needing to unload one fast will go for cheap, others that are not desperate to sell can wait for the appropriate buyer and fetch a higher price.

Spec makes a big difference too. A supercharged one will probably fetch a higher price both because of the American's ego (it has to be 300hp) and the fact that its an expensive option. Factory wing packages are not inexpensive despite them being mostly for aesthetics, the same with Íhlins, or whatever suspension and Alcon big brakes. The level of maintenance makes a difference too as well as mileage, on and off track.

There are just too many variables to account for. These cars are just expensive toys so they are their own market.

Take others' advice: Buy it, you won't regret it.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Thanks a ton!!!