Thread: Eddie FourFather Hill's Go-Ped and the new engine for it.

Country
    United States

Eddie FourFather Hill's Go-Ped and the new engine for it.

Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Country
    United States
    I think you're gonna need some better rubber. I consider myself pretty bike savvy..but I don't recognize that engine...
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; April 18, 2015 at 05:40 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    I think you're gonna need some better rubber. I consider myself pretty bike savvy..but I don't recognize that engine...
    HINT- It is a Kawasaki, with more cubic inch displacement than any of the Ariel Atoms I have had to date-
    Eddie FourFather Hill

Country
    United States
    ^ AH! The old The Vulcan 2000 (2,053 cc's) I had forgotten about those beasts. Lots of torque but a low rev limit,so not much HP. Should make a nice skate board engine…yikes…
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    Max torque at 3250 rpm, if I remember right, but hit the rpm the limiter surprising quickly, especially in first and second gear. I had to really work at short-shifting to keep it off the stutter-box.

I came up with that engine several years ago with the idea of building a modern Captain America Easy Rider chopper for myself, with the classic look and sound, but with modern torque, smoothness (huge balance shafts in that engine, so no Harley shake), and modern components. But the huge Vulcan engine/unit gearbox is so much bigger than the Harley engines, it would have required it's own one-off frame. I did not want to take time to build it myself and couldn't generate much interest from other builders to do a one-off.

So I bought a custom-built Vicious Cycle in my Captain America scheme, but with a Harley engine. And became a dealer for them and sold some. It looked and sounded the part very well, but the Harley engine shakes kept it from being fun for me to ride, and about then the Chopper craze ended, and by then I understood at least part of the reason it ended.

So now the smooth torque monster is an office ornament.

I was just kidding about the Go-Ped, but can you think of an interesting home for this high torque-low HP thumper, that doesn't shake?
    Eddie FourFather Hill

Country
    United States
    I'd say put it on the Go-Ped and give ole E.J. Potter (aka the Michigan Madman) a run for his money…

ej-potter.jpg

Country
    United States
    Speaking of E.J. Potter-- He inspired me to make a mechanism for this unblown gas Pontiac dragster that I built in that time frame. I rigged a lever in the cockpit to lift the rear wheels off the track on the starting line, so I could spin the rear wheels/tires up to speed and then drop the car onto the spinning tires, when it was time to launch.

Like he did his two-wheeler.

The tech inspectors were incredulized that I would even THINK of trying that, and made me promise that I would NOT try it. So I didn't try it and took it off unused, and untried.

But I bet it would have worked.
    Eddie FourFather Hill

Country
    United States
    ^ Very cool car..would have loved to see it run.The artwork on the wheel covers is a nice touch. I miss all the innovations from the early years.