Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RyanD

Thread: Wrap all the things!

Lepton
    Country
    United States

Wrap all the things!

I've been working on applying 3M carbon fiber vinyl wrap to my wings and fenders. It's turning out pretty well even though I'm not that skilled in this sort of thing. It would go a lot faster if I had a 3rd hand to hold the hair dryer. Still have 3 fenders to go, and then I'll probably find other parts to wrap with whatever is left over.

The main benefit I see to vinyl wrap is that it's a lot cheaper than paint, and it can be replaced if damaged. I'm curious to see how it holds up to rocks. The paint on the fenders gets chipped pretty easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bolus likes this.

Country
    United States
    That is looking good. It definitely adds options for changing the look.

What type of applicator is used (between the wrap and the base material)? Do you think it will come off easily if you want to change it in the future?

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jlester View Post

What type of applicator is used (between the wrap and the base material)? Do you think it will come off easily if you want to change it in the future?
    The wrap is self-adhesive, but you can use a primer if required. The wings had a lower-quality wrap on them before that I removed. It wasn't too difficult to remove with a razor blade. I used denatured alcohol to remove the old adhesive. The 3M wrap seems to be much tougher, so I expect it will peel off easier with less tearing than the old wrap.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I have a fender with a paint chip already. How would it look if I just wrapped over it vs. getting it repainted & then wrapped? Will it be that obvious?

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I have a fender with a paint chip already. How would it look if I just wrapped over it vs. getting it repainted & then wrapped? Will it be that obvious?
    You'll never see a chip under the wrap. It even hid small dents in my front wing.

I figured out a better method on the second fender. Smooth just along the center line of the fender first. Then work out to the sides, using a hair dryer as needed. The only tricky part is cutting around the mounting posts.

0318152157b (800x450).jpg