Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Texas Revoked My Title

Particle
    Country
    United States

Texas Revoked My Title

I received a letter today from Texas DMV stating that they had mistakenly issued my Atom's title 3 years ago, and the Atom was not designed to be driven on the street only on closed course tracks. They went on to say that the Atom was a threat to the safety of other motorists, so they have revoked my registration and title. They enclosed an envelope and demanded I send the plates, stickers and title back to them. This in effect leaves me with an untitled car that I can use as a $70,000 paperweight. I am so mad right now I can't see straight.

Get ready the rest of you Texas owners.
    Last edited by CobraCollector; February 26, 2015 at 10:41 PM.

Country
    United States
    How in anyones eyes can an Atom be a threat to the safety of another motorist? I will never understand that babble. it sucks that there is not a different classification for a 4 wheel vehicle that weighs under 1500lbs. and has all the necessary safety equipment (lights,mirrors,brakes etc etc) The FAA says an ultralite airplane is fine to fly..and they do not even require a license to fly one! Why can't those paper pushers do the same for the Atom and any other car that is under 1500lbs? Hell, motorcycles are approaching that weight,and many trikes are over that.How is a trike less of a "threat" to motorists than an Atom? (think Slingshot) I really don't understand the whole argument against not allowing the Atom on roads. I feel your pain.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    i'm convinced registering the Atom as a KIT or COMPOSITE or REPLICA has a better chance owning it for longevity instead of
    registering it as an Ariel Atom. No such thing as Ariel Atom in "most" of the 50 states. They are illegal. It's just a matter of time when some state DMV open the can of worms.

Sorry to hear - ask them your recourse and if you are allowed to register it as a kit-composite-replica. Follow the rules of the registration.
    Don't lose hope.

Sucks to hear. I haven't seen anything yet..........but not to say it isn't coming

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Could you take the car apart and reassemble it while taking pictures showing that you built it ? Maybe remove Ariel stickers and call it a replica? Maybe it could be registered as a assembled vehicle . You might have to fill out a special form or something like that but it better then getting rid of it. You could have the car down to bare frame in 1 weekend.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I would demand that they return your taxes and fees before sending back the title. I paid Texas $3-4k to register my Atom when I got it.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Perhaps you could seek registration in another, more friendly state?

I would seek a refund of taxes paid, and invest that money into a Montana type situation.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    I would demand that they return your taxes and fees before sending back the title. I paid Texas $3-4k to register my Atom when I got it.

Good idea....hire a lawyer and let him handle the taxes & fees issue....maybe they will change their mind (lol)

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Even more money to spend not knowing what the out come will be. $300 + per hr. to throw away. I guess you do what have too. All the best of luck to you.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    How is a trike less of a "threat" to motorists than an Atom? (think Slingshot)
    The Slingshot is also illegal in Texas! The only state in the union you can't own and drive one. I don't know what's happening to our once great state.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast