Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Just started looking in to the atom

Lurker
    Country
    United States

Just started looking in to the atom

Hi all I'm Robert from Texas and just started looking into the atom so please bare with me if I ask stupid questions

Country
    United States
    Hi, Robert,

Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to learn about Atoms. There are quite a few in Texas now.

Regards,

Eddie FourFather Hill in Wichita Falls

MadMaxAtom likes this.
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Another fellow Texan over here. Which part are you from? Maybe you can talk a local into giving you a closer look.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FourFather View Post
    Hi, Robert,
    Welcome to the Forum. This is a great place to learn about Atoms. There are quite a few in Texas now.
    Regards,
    Eddie FourFather Hill in Wichita Falls
    Hi Eddie - Great pic! I feel like I keep asking you the same question though; that wheel and tire combo is that? Looks like a Hoosier A6/A7 I'm guessing but what size and what wheel size and manufacturer?

Country
    United States
    "what wheel size and manufacturer?" Look like Keizers and I'll bet they are 15x10s. ( I run the Keizers as well,only I run 15x12s in the rear)
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Country
    United States
    I run and sell the Keizer three piece wheels and Hoosiers, 8" fronts and 10" rears.

Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FourFather View Post
    I run and sell the Keizer three piece wheels and Hoosiers, 8" fronts and 10" rears.
    Eddie - What tire sizes do you run on the 10"?
    MadMaxAtom - What tire sizes do you run on the 12"?

I have 16x8 rears and run 245/45/16 but some experienced racing people are telling me that I should run much wider wheels (basically the max sized wheel possible for the tire) so for my 16x8 that means running only a 225/50/16 or to continue to run a 245/45/16 I need a 16x9 wheel. When I look at 15" tire sizes from Hoosier in R6/R7 or A6/A7 I don't see one that fits a 15x10.

Have you guys tried Hoosier slicks? (or Avon I was told is good too.)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    I have 16x8 rears and run 245/45/16 but some experienced racing people are telling me that I should run much wider wheels (basically the max sized wheel possible for the tire) so for my 16x8 that means running only a 225/50/16 or to continue to run a 245/45/16 I need a 16x9 wheel. When I look at 15" tire sizes from Hoosier in R6/R7 or A6/A7 I don't see one that fits a 15x10.
    You'd be better off with Ethos wheels from Sector 111. You can get 17x9 rears and run 275 width Hoosiers. They'll hold 350 RWHP.
    Ethos Wheels

Country
    United States
    ^ The problem with running 17" wheels is you have to run 17" tires.which in a 275/40/17 (Hoosier) are almost 26" tall,which adversely affect acceleration,braking and handling.(so I have found over many years of trial and error)
    I much prefer a 23" tall tire and run the Hoosier R25b FA racing slicks (9.5" frt/12" rear) Best part about using the R25b tires is there are a lot of "used" scrub take-offs available at 1/5 the price of a new tire,($80 used) and they are ULTRA sticky..and last a long time on a car set up properly (they require more negative camber than a street tire to work and wear well)
    The 275/35/15" Hoosiers (R6,A6) can be run on a 10" wide wheel, and are a 23" tall tire, so ideal for the Atom. (although I prefer the feel of the FA slicks, and the FAs are MUCH cheaper as they are available every year as scrubs from various racing venues)
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; February 20, 2015 at 05:33 AM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    ^ The problem with running 17" wheels is you have to run 17" tires.which in a 275/40/17 (Hoosier) are almost 26" tall
    I have 275/40/17 Hoosiers which are 25.5" tall. They now sell a 275/35/17 that is 24.7" tall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast