Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What tires are you guys running?

Fermion
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States

What tires are you guys running?

So I have ~2000 miles on my car. I have the r888 on it and the rears are pretty much done. I'm planning on doing mostly street use and did like the feel of the r888. I was going to just get another pair for the rear but the r888 225/45/16 is sold out in all the us. I found one tire and can't find another. I can order them from the uk but the shipping is not that cheap.
    so what other tires do you guys recommend?
    From what I've read the yokohama A048 seems pretty good. Medium hard or medium?
    or what else?
    I also wouldn't mind getting a little more mileage out of the tire, but I do understand the trade off.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    hoosier A6. not very rain friendly though
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....150207045541:s

basically you want the softest tire you can since the Atom weighs half of what typical tires are designed for
    sector: 4 likes this.
    the high profile toy thrower

Country
    United States
    After trying a variety of tire brands and sizes, I've realized that the car should never have come with 225-width tires on the rear. It's just inadequate for what the car offers.

If the 225/45-16 R888s aren't readily available, consider moving to 245/45-16. They barely fit under the rear fenders, although I can't remember if I had to elongate the fender bracket holes or not. Here's what they look like under the stock fenders:

Modifying the fender bracket mounting holes isn't too difficult, and if you do, you gain additional height adjustment capability. Changing to that tire size does change the rolling circumference, but the SPA dash (if the current Atoms still have those) allows adjustment so you can keep it accurate.

I currently use 275-width R888s on the rear of my Atom for most street driving and I've been through a few sets of them. I've probably put around 15k miles total on the Toyos with 5 trips across the country and like them a lot. Never a problem on wet, even in heavy rain. I have A048s on my Exige but I can't say I give them as much of a workout as I do the Toyos on the Atom so I can't offer much for feedback on them.

I occasionally have my Hoosier A6s on the car when I drive it on the street. Bare dry pavement, and the grip is astonishing. A damp or wet surface is ok, but any standing water makes you see the grim reaper. Also, any sand, gravel, pebbles, etc. really takes away a lot of their grip especially if encountered in a corner. They also grab onto any rocks or gravel you drive over and fling them at the car behind you. So they're not the best choice for a mostly street-driven vehicle, but BOY do they grip. I now use 295-width Hoosiers on wider wheels and use wider fenders and if you'd like to see what that looks like, pics are in the photo album on my website here.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Fermion
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. Will a 245 tire fit on the stock 16x7 rim?

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by garef001 View Post
    Will a 245 tire fit on the stock 16x7 rim?
    Yes. In my photos above, the 245 is on the standard 16 rim.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I occasionally have my Hoosier A6s on the car when I drive it on the street. Bare dry pavement, and the grip is astonishing. A damp or wet surface is ok, but any standing water makes you see the grim reaper.
    AO48's are surprisingly good, even in the rain. They're more comparable to the R888's than the A6's. I was running M in the front, MH in the rear, and still went through rears about twice as fast as fronts.

"Dropping the anchor" at 60 MPH in standing water is going to be a sphincter-clenching experience no matter what tires you have:

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    just want to stress how simple it really is to adjust the fenders, you can cut the silicon off the fender posts and move it around.....which is also why the fenders can come loose after several years, but luckily it's a super easy fix so don't be afraid to get in there with a razor blade and cut away and re-epoxy (silicone...can't remember but TMI will tell you the proper adhesive to use) the fender in the location it's needed.....then of course there's modifying the bracket to get you extra height.

Fermion
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    I ordered a048s from tire rack for $315 shipped. Figured I can't go wrong for the $.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Im looking for a set of tires for a 1500 mile road rally. With this said I need something that is rain friendly and not a rcomp. What are my options? I cant seem to find anything in the matching tire sizes or ones close to it.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Hoosier A6 275s will hold 340 RWHP on the street. Plenty of grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast