Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What tires are you guys running?

Lurker
    Country
    Chile
    I prefer the a048 than the r888, toyo is better grip in line, and a048 is better in the corner. I have both, 048 in track day and r888 in street

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    does 205/50/16s fit or is 45 the max without rubbing?

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtush View Post
    Im looking for a set of tires for a 1500 mile road rally. With this said I need something that is rain friendly and not a rcomp. What are my options? I cant seem to find anything in the matching tire sizes or ones close to it.
    We use Yokohama AD08R on the One Lap Atom. Over 14,000 miles last year

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    Had my car out at the track yesterday. Incredible day, but had a question. I have 275 A6s on the rear, and even after reducing the hot pressure to ~15-16 psi (at which point the temp profile indicated underinflation), my tire temperatures were running around 140F (measured in the pits via probe). The car felt fantastic (very well planted, very well behaved at the limit), but the tires aren't getting all the way up to the temperatures I'm used to seeing on track tires (~180F+) on other cars. Admittedly, Hoosier has a 140F recommendation on the A6s for autocross, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't using too much tire on my car (AA2, 230awhp) and giving up possible performance. Certainly I could push the backend harder if more grip could be had (I'm definitely nowhere near 100% throttle pulling out of corners). Is 140F the right range on this tire on track, or should I be dropping down in width?

Country
    United States
    I've tried the narrow tire/ higher temperature game and have found wider rubber to be overall quicker. 140 degrees on A6s is not ideal,but is in the high grip range. The new A7s are even stickier than the old A6s at the same temps...so I would recommend you try those in the 275 size before falling back to narrow tires. I really have done hundreds of hours of on track testing..and wider sticky tires beats warmer narrow tires on the Atom every time.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Tire traction and temp range are optimized for vehicle weight in the 3000-4000 lb range. The Atom weighs less than half that so the only way to see temps above 160 you will have to hit the slip angle around the the entire track every lap. On other note, what size wheel are you running the 275 on?

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    15" wheels both front and back. 205/50's on 949 Racing 8" wide wheels in the front, and 275/35's on 949 9" wheels on the back. Definitely the 9" wheel is not ideal for the 275 tire, and if I stay 175 I'll go wider, but no need if I drop back to 255's (which I'll likely not be doing based on MadMax's post).

Entirely possible that I'm just not pushing the car hard enough, which really was the impetus behind my post (to understand if 140F on a 275 was normal for the Atom, or if the tire was too wide, or if my driving wasn't good enough).

Country
    United States
    Go to a 10" wide wheel for the 275/35/15" Hoosiers and use the new A7s..you will feel like superman.I also pretreat all my new tires with Pro-blend Hot lap 5000 tire softener. Stuff stinks like hell..but I get much longer race life from of my tires and they don't heat cycle out. I can run them to the cords before they give up any grip.I've done sets with and without the "goat piss" treatment and I absolutely know it gives me more traction,and longer life. Not a lot more traction...but my last time trial I won by .044 seconds; every little bit counts if you are looking for MAX grip. Treat them out doors..it does stink..
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    For those running the 949 wheels are you having to run spacers? I am looking at going to 225 fronts with 245 or 255 rears. I do not think I could get a 275 up to temp on a 60 second autocross run.

Up Quark
    Country
    United States
    No spacers needed without fenders on my Atom2. If you want to run fenders, you'll need spacers or modified fender brackets for the front and larger fenders on the back. When I have the 949 wheels on the car I typically run with rear fenders on to try and limit the rock throwing (large fenders with modified bracket) and no fenders on front (I only have one set of front fenders and prefer to keep them for my TeamDynamic R888 set up). As a side note, the bore size on the 949 wheels is 67.1 vs Atom 2 hub diameter of 56.1, so hub centering rings definitely advisable.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast