Thread: Crash near San Diego

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    My prayers go out to the family , so sad that this had to happen

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Everyone please make sure you have a SAFE alignment and suspension setup, especially if you are driving your Atom on the streets. This driver may have not done anything wrong. As my car was setup from the factory, it swapped ends with me driving in a straight line and was very twitchy around corners. A proper setup makes the car much more stable. Have the setup done by a professional if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself. You can find recommended settings on the forums.

Neutron
    Country
    United States
    the high profile toy thrower

Electron
    Country
    United States
    From that TV news report, it appears the driver came out of the sweeping right hand turn and my guess is that he came out of that turn too fast and was unable to set up for the next left hand turn. Looks like the rear end broke loose with the car beginning to spin counter-clockwise and into oncoming traffic.

I would guess that the rear of the Atom impacted the front of the SUV and the impact sent the Atom forward ~20 ft where it stopped. The damage to the Atom indicates a strike from the rear and particularly the rear right. Had it been a head-on nose-to-nose collision, I would expect much different damage.

Prayers go out to the family and friends. The driver gave the gift of life by organ donation and one family’s loss became another’s Christmas blessing.

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    i'd be eager to see those tie rod ends and thimbles

Country
    United States
    (Note: the post by Mozzopy,which proceeded my response,was deleted,therefore the non sequitur)

People have been killed in every vehicle that has ever been built. Many times over. It is the number one killer of humans. The Atom is no exception to the dangers of a collision, and it is no more dangerous when driven with respect. Any car, including a Porsche,can be driven to the point of a loss of control,on or off track. Vehicles by themselves do not take lives.Well..maybe Christine..but that's Hollywood.

Here is a little stat you need to read before you bash the Atom as an unsafe public road vehicle:

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Almost none of those fatalities and injuries are from Atom occupants. Almost.

We all strive our best to keep it that way.
    Last edited by MadMaxAtom; December 29, 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

Lurker
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxAtom View Post
    People have been killed in every vehicle that has ever been built. Many times over. It is the number one killer of humans. The Atom is no exception to the dangers of a collision, and it is no more dangerous when driven with respect. Any car, including a Porsche,can be driven to the point of a loss of control,on or off track. Vehicles by themselves do not take lives.Well..maybe Christine..but that's Hollywood.

Here is a little stat you need to read before you bash the Atom as an unsafe public road vehicle:

Nearly 1.3 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day. An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled. More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.

Almost none of those fatalities and injuries are from Atom occupants. Almost.

We all strive our best to keep it that way.
    I did not mean to sound like I was bashing the atom. I realize now for emotional reasons it's better I don't comment on this forum.I would just like to say, it is an unfortunate tragedy and despite the driver being my closest friend, I agree it is wrong to blame the car. I am still a huge fan of the atom. I realize it does have a purpose on the road. I just want people to know this was a very bright and responsible man, who respected the limits of cars, and unfortunately a rare mistake led to this. This was not the first time he drove this car. I have been the passenger in it for many hours and never felt unsafe with him driving. Like you I hope for safe and fun driving in the future for all atom owners.

Country
    United States
    Mozzopy, condolences and I am sorry for your loss

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozzopy View Post
    I did not mean to sound like I was bashing the atom. I realize now for emotional reasons it's better I don't comment on this forum.I would just like to say, it is an unfortunate tragedy and despite the driver being my closest friend, I agree it is wrong to blame the car. I am still a huge fan of the atom. I realize it does have a purpose on the road. I just want people to know this was a very bright and responsible man, who respected the limits of cars, and unfortunately a rare mistake led to this. This was not the first time he drove this car. I have been the passenger in it for many hours and never felt unsafe with him driving. Like you I hope for safe and fun driving in the future for all atom owners.
    Sorry for the loss of your friend....no matter how good of a driver you are, anything can happen and it's a terrible tragedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12