Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What made you buy your Atom?

Country
    United States

What made you buy your Atom?

Hello Atom owners and enthusiasts!

This may seem like an obvious question, but what was the deciding factor in your choice to buy an Atom? It may be the performance, the aesthetics, the exclusivity - whatever the reason, post your answer below!

Country
    United States
    After retiring in 1999, from driving top fuel dragsters and top fuel dragboats for many years, I really missed the acceleration, the gees, and being able to drive a vehicle as fast as it would go.

The Ariel Atom's outstanding power-to-weight ratio and the resulting incredible acceleration and cornering, especially for a streetable car, was, and still is, an irresistable lure for me. After learning that Jay Leno bought the #1, first American-built Atom, I bought #72, which I still have, and have since also enjoyed a couple of Ariel Atom 3 versions.

I feel like the Atom's performance, especially on road race tracks, has saved me from dying of terminal boredom.

The aesthetics, generally regarded as the raciest looking car on the streets, is, to me, a welcome bonus, that adds to the pride of ownership.

A large factor in the buying decision for me, is the reliability. Not having to work on the car is a huge deal to a retired drag racer!

So for me:

1. Performance ( Both on the street and on the track )

2. Reliability ( Very seldom requires anything other than minor maintenance )

3. Pride of ownership ( Which includes looks and exclusivity, and unbridled admiration from almost everyone )

4. Resale value ( Seems to be the best in the business for an ultra-performance car )
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Electron
    Country
    United States
    Top Gear.

I will never forget the first time I saw the infamous video of Jeremy Clarkson driving it. It just looked like a total blast. My daily driver is so boring (Honda Element), I needed something more fun to balance it out. Talk about extremes. I don't drive it nearly as much as I should, but that makes it even more special each time I get into it. I can't help but grin each time I buckle in and fire it up. Even though technology has caught up and there are cars with equal/better performance for equal money (new Vette), I can't imagine it being nearly as much fun. It's such a special car.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    After TopGear, and a stint at the Ariel Atom Experience, which was my first time on track in anything, I had to have one. The fun per dollar ratio was off the chart. Also, I figured an Atom was safer than a motorcycle and something I could share with my family and friends. My passengers always come away exhilarated and smiling!

Country
    United States
    Quoted from my Ariel Atom web page:

"In 2004, I started thinking about getting a second car for fun, to augment my BMW 325xiT Sport Wagon. I didn't have anything specific in mind, other than "more fun" and "less practical". I had heard that BMW was going to be making a lightweight M6, and looked at the new 6-series (non-M) coupe at the 2004 New York Auto Show. The styling just didn't do anything for me (in fact, it completely turned me off). Additionally, the interior seemed cheaply made, and instead of a spare tire in the trunk, there were wires and a fuse box in a Styrofoam insert.

While wandering around the rest of the auto show, I landed in the Porsche booth, where they were displaying a nice Targa model. That seemed interesting, and I decided that when I got around to it, I'd wander into my local Porsche dealer and see if anything appealed to me enough to consider buying one.

This idea simmered for over a year. I was actually getting ready to drive up to the Porsche dealer one day in July, 2005 (warm summer days make me want to buy sports cars) when I read a post titled "Ariel has a USA factory?" on one of my car forums. It showed pictures of the Ariel Atom and described plans to build them in the US (rather than importing them from the UK).

I searched and found the Ariel Atom Owner's Club (AAOC), which had a link to the Top Gear video. I was immediately sold on the Atom, being infinitely fun and infinitely impractical. I contacted Brammo Motorsports, LLC, the US manufacturer, and said "What do I need to do to get one of these?". (Actually, I also asked a lot of questions about options, etc.).

Brammo responsed with a copy of their initial marketing document which answered some frequently asked questions, as well as providing some guesstimates about pricing and production dates.

I let this info sink in for a while, telling myself "I can do this... I can do this...". On September 8th, 2005 at 1:30 AM (east coast time), I received an email from Brammo offering access to a beta-test version of the Atom configurator program. By 2:30 AM that same night, I had configured an Atom and placed an order, giving me the 2nd order placed through the configurator. I sent my deposit check off the next morning, and the waiting began... "

Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    No doors, no roof, no windows, just different.

Gluon
    Country
    United States
    I've owned a variety of performance cars/bikes - 3 Porsches, Lotus, GT-R, McLaren, a few BMWs, R-spec Ducatis - but nothing turns corners or heads like the Atom. I also got tired of spending $$$$ on tires and brakes for McLaren/GT-R track days. When one came up for sale locally this year, I had to own it. Best 50k I ever spent on a 'car'. Awesome (and old-school analog) on the track, fun as heck on the street, and just about the coolest looking thing with 4 wheels. Clarkson video really helped the brand IMO, that was too funny.

The Top Gear episode did it for me, too. Saw the show. Started the search. Took about a month to acquire one. Has been a great addition to the stable. Truly one of the best cars you can drive to the track, run with if not be the fastest car on track (for short tracks, anyway) and drive it home.

ben

jid
    Blind Apex
    Country
    United States
    A friend of mine who is into cars bought one. He took me for a ride and I was hooked. I had to have one. So I sought one out and never looked back. Drove it to work yesterday... Middle of winter down here. Who cares. As long as it doesn't rain too much, I want to drive this car. And I do.

JD

Country
    United States
    bump!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast