Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Texas registration...anyone register in Louisiana?? What now...

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraCollector View Post
    Guys, they have electronically revoked our titles, which means it can never be registered in any state ever again. The states now check an out-of-state title to make sure it's real, free of liens, not a salvage, any number of different title problems are checked instantly through their computer system. No state will be able to title our cars if the title shows revoked in the Texas database.
    per you PM and this post....I realize that Texas is telling you that other states all use the same computer system...BUT, do you really believe all of the 50 states would work together to accomplish anything? I don't. I know this is not related but when I went to school in New Mexico I retained my car's Texas registration and Texas and New Mexico didn't share driving record information.....sure this is 15 years ago, and sure it's not title information, but I wouldn't take their word for it, I would at least try to get it registered out of state first, and get the denial in my hand before giving up.

How can a state take it upon themselves to basically make your car impossible to be registered in any other state...I'm sure there's some legal issues with that, but, I don't have a dog in this fight so I'm just spit-balling here.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    ....try going to your local DMV and you will get frustrated. You will stay there forEVER just to accomplish one task.
    and you are telling me that the 50 states collaborate each other as far as record, registration, title, ownership & emission?
    FAT CHANCE !

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by s2kseven View Post
    ....try going to your local DMV and you will get frustrated. You will stay there forEVER just to accomplish one task.
    and you are telling me that the 50 states collaborate each other as far as record, registration, title, ownership & emission?
    FAT CHANCE !
    I agree with this...I would take my existing title and immediately use it to apply for a title in a new state before giving it back to Texas.

I'm sorry for all you Texas owners, this is horrible...I'm thankful I'm not facing this as it would crush me

Particle
    Country
    United States
    I've got 30 some odd vehicles and spend lots of time at the DMV, renewing tags or registering new acquisitions. I've seen this computer in action, and even talked to them at length about it since I never knew it existed. I spoke to the woman who registered my Atom last Friday when I registered a 1971 Trans am I bought out of state, and she logged on to that system to check the out-of-state title. I told her about the letter and she confirmed that once their computer showed the title as revoked I was pretty much screwed as far as transferring the title to another state. But hey, don't believe me if you don't want to, it's no skin off my nose.

For my part I have an appointment next week to sit down with my state representative. I would suggest that every Texas owner who gets their title revoked do the same thing.

After that I've got another step I don't feel like advertising on a public board right now.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraCollector View Post
    I've got 30 some odd vehicles and spend lots of time at the DMV, renewing tags or registering new acquisitions. I've seen this computer in action, and even talked to them at length about it since I never knew it existed. I spoke to the woman who registered my Atom last Friday when I registered a 1971 Trans am I bought out of state, and she logged on to that system to check the out-of-state title. I told her about the letter and she confirmed that once their computer showed the title as revoked I was pretty much screwed as far as transferring the title to another state. But hey, don't believe me if you don't want to, it's no skin off my nose.

For my part I have an appointment next week to sit down with my state representative. I would suggest that every Texas owner who gets their title revoked do the same thing.

After that I've got another step I don't feel like advertising on a public board right now.

I don't think anyone doubts you or that the person at the DMV believes in what they are telling you....but just because Texas can access other states titles doesn't really mean other states can access Texas titles... to me, I wouldn't take that dmv person at their word, I would at least try it and see what happened for myself.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    For what it's worth, I can provide a piece of the DMV puzzle from my own experience. I bought a Rebuilt Salvage Lotus Elise from New Jersey a few years ago. The Jersey title was clean, somehow someone somewhere got the salvage brand removed and Jersey honored it with an unbranded title. I went to title it in NY (where I lived at the time and not a state that the elise had ever been in) and they did a quick system search and found out when and where the salvage brand got applied and immediately flagged my title, forced me to get a VIN inspection, and rebranded my title as rebuilt salvage. It would seem that there is indeed a comms link between state to state DMVs.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    There is a company called Carfax, and is a nation wide title search. carfax.com

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by delta View Post
    There is a company called Carfax, and is a nation wide title search. carfax.com
    which you have to have a VIN to use, amiright?

nothing ever pulled up on my old atom

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    nothing ever pulled up on my old atom
    Really? It has 5 records now (your ...060 VIN).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12