Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Atom vs. Radical Track Performance Q's

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've seen that in videos far too much as well. My Atom came from the factory set up such that I'd consider it a serious handful and borderline dangerous. But with the proper alignment, ride height, suspension settings, and some sticky wider tires, it provides much more confidence with very little need for countersteer input.

I commented on this also in this thread. Eddie's video is worth watching to see how a properly set up car should be.
    Mind sharing what kind of setup will make a S/C Atom 2/3 more stable on track? Guessing lower ride height, and 245 front 275 rear Hoosiers or equivalent at minimum along with more camber and some rear toe in for alignment settings.

I've seen Eddie's video, his car looks very stable but I spoke with him and I don't think he's being fairly cautious and not driving it at the limit. At our local track I would guess his car could run about a 1:50 where he's at 1:55 with some traffic.

P.S. mind posting some links to your video with a properly setup Atom on track? Would love to see the difference.
    E90 M3 DCT
    997.1 GT3

www.essesmotorcars.com

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I've seen that in videos far too much as well. My Atom came from the factory set up such that I'd consider it a serious handful and borderline dangerous.
    There was a YouTube video of someone spinning out on the front straight at AtomFest II (2009) due to the factory setup on his car. Brammo delivered Atoms with toe out on both front and back, which could get pretty exciting.

Electron
    Country
    United States
    I've not driven a Radical but I have been on track with plenty of them at multiple tracks (mostly Spring Mountain and a couple of times at Sonoma, Laguna Seca) I also drive the SRA, 230HP.

From my experience the cars are not comparable; the Radical crushes the Atom. It's a race car versus a fast street car. 10 seconds per lap on a 2-minute config is a good estimate. The Atom aero is terrible and downforce none existent so you have a massive performance penalty in long fast corners and in long straights. My car is fast to 100MPH but after that acceleration slows dramatically. With 230HP I max out at 126MPH at the top end of 5th, in 6th I max out at ~124MPH (not in the power band to go any faster.) Get behind a faster car though and tuck in and it'll go to 130+. I'm not sure what the max speed on a 300HP S/C Atom is, anyone?

Of course a lot of this depends on the driver too. I was faster than two Radical SR3 at Sonoma... but they were terrible drivers so that was why, otherwise they should have crushed me there. At Spring Mountain they are mostly experienced Radical guys and racers and you barely see them coming in your rear view mirrors before they come tearing past. Same experience at Laguna Seca, he overtook me on the exit of 11 and he was out of sight by turn 3, that's just full throttle and a couple of corners, nothing I could do any different.

For me it's really about what you want from your day at the track. Do you want to just relentlessly crush everyone else and go as fast as possible? If so get a Radical. If you want to just have a ton of fun and still slightly embarrass most supercars then get an Atom. Especially if you don't want to rebuild your engine then get an Atom for that reason too.
    MadMaxAtom likes this.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Buckingham View Post
    I've not driven a Radical but I have been on track with plenty of them at multiple tracks (mostly Spring Mountain and a couple of times at Sonoma, Laguna Seca) I also drive the SRA, 230HP.

From my experience the cars are not comparable; the Radical crushes the Atom. It's a race car versus a fast street car. 10 seconds per lap on a 2-minute config is a good estimate. The Atom aero is terrible and downforce none existent so you have a massive performance penalty in long fast corners and in long straights. My car is fast to 100MPH but after that acceleration slows dramatically. With 230HP I max out at 126MPH at the top end of 5th, in 6th I max out at ~124MPH (not in the power band to go any faster.) Get behind a faster car though and tuck in and it'll go to 130+. I'm not sure what the max speed on a 300HP S/C Atom is, anyone?

Of course a lot of this depends on the driver too. I was faster than two Radical SR3 at Sonoma... but they were terrible drivers so that was why, otherwise they should have crushed me there. At Spring Mountain they are mostly experienced Radical guys and racers and you barely see them coming in your rear view mirrors before they come tearing past. Same experience at Laguna Seca, he overtook me on the exit of 11 and he was out of sight by turn 3, that's just full throttle and a couple of corners, nothing I could do any different.

For me it's really about what you want from your day at the track. Do you want to just relentlessly crush everyone else and go as fast as possible? If so get a Radical. If you want to just have a ton of fun and still slightly embarrass most supercars then get an Atom. Especially if you don't want to rebuild your engine then get an Atom for that reason too.
    Thanks for the feedback. I knew there was a difference between the Radical and Atom but I did not realize it was quite that big. I waved a SR3 past in T15 at COTA in my GT-R and by the time I got to T19 he was past start/finish on the front straight. I kind of want that kind of performance.

But on the flip side I've never owned a truck/trailer or towed anything in my life and I would kind of miss having a fun/fast street car if I bought the Radical so the Atom seems like much less of a hassle and a good compromise. I'm just afraid the performance over a GT3/GT-R/ZR-1 type street car is not large enough to justify how hardcore it is.

P.S. do you have any video of you on track in your SRA with some Radicals?
    E90 M3 DCT
    997.1 GT3

www.essesmotorcars.com

Country
    United States
    I've had enough track time with Richard to vouch for his ability. He's getting around the track, I have full confidence running up close and personal with him.

They are differnt cars for differnt purposes, needs, care and feeding.
    Last edited by Positron; November 6, 2014 at 04:09 PM.
    MadMaxAtom likes this.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I read somewhere that Radicals are now street legal here in the US. YMMV, but I'd check on that.

Country
    United States
    My front spitter is adjusted to 55mm clearance, that'd be a lot of fun in a busy intersection where the roads are crowned for rain gutters.
    AtomII #73 for sale, PM for details.

Turning money into smoke and noise since 2006.
    Member "I drove the Brammo mule with Tom S." club.

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    I read somewhere that Radicals are now street legal here in the US. YMMV, but I'd check on that.
    Thats the sr3 sl which is over 100k new. It has a higher ride height and a ford turbo 4 cyl
    E90 M3 DCT
    997.1 GT3

www.essesmotorcars.com

Kup
    Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    FYI - My Nissan GTR is 20mph faster on the back straight at Sebring than my 2014 AA3 SC

Fermion
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Kup View Post
    FYI - My Nissan GTR is 20mph faster on the back straight at Sebring than my 2014 AA3 SC
    Holy crap, is that because the AA3 just stops accelerating around 130? At Circuit of the Americas my GT-R was high 140's, can't imagine a SC Honda Atom only hitting 120's. What are the overall lap times of your Atom and GT-R at sebring and what tires are they on?
    E90 M3 DCT
    997.1 GT3

www.essesmotorcars.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast