Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2011 CA Legal 280+rwhp built K24 - 1300 miles - SF Bay Area

Lepton
    Country
    United States

2011 CA Legal 280+rwhp built K24 - 1300 miles - SF Bay Area

EDIT - car now has one track day at Laguna and ~1700 miles on it. Looking for $69.9k.

Short run down is that I bought a highly optioned roller from TMI in 2011, and then custom built a forged 12.5:1 race motor with CNCed head, oversized valves, oil pan baffling, etc. etc. K24A2 ERL shortblock and K20A2 Team4Piston head (slightly different casting, let's them CNC differently a few more CFM). Car puts down 279rwhp and 190rwtq and is absolutely bulletproof. For context the '300's I've seen dyno are at 260 rwhp and 160rwtq.

I got the car 95% finished and on the road in 2012, and then life got in the way - big promotion, marriage, etc. and the car mostly sat on a battery tender from mid-2012 until a few weeks ago (it was driven, oil warmed, etc.). I bought a house a few weeks ago and have now finished the car to 100% in order to sell. I did one track day on it this week. Video here:

The car is an absolute rocket ship. Spooky, spooky fast. Likely a 9 second car on the right tire, and the block could easily handle a 50 or 100 shot of nitrous if you wanted to get silly/mental. If you installed a $10 clutch sensor you could enable a two-step and flat foot shifting as well and knock a few tenths off the 0-60 and lap times. If you installed the front hubs from a 500 with the ABS sensor pickups you could also run Hondata traction control. If you rebuilt with low compression pistons and a turbo and it'd easily put down 500-600rwhp - all the supporting stuff is there. Has a lower final drive (4.4 vs 5.1) and different 5th and 6th that make it much more road course friendly than the stock K20A gearbox. That being said, I've never pulled the car out of the hole (so it has *zero* 0-60 passes), nor power shifted it, or beaten on it in any way.

It does make a small snick going into 5th. AFAIK, it's not a big deal, but I had the tranny builder tear it down again to inspect it. He saw no issues - synchro is fine, just noise from the different 5/6th. In writing I will obligate myself to cover the costs to fix the tranny if 5th gear gives you any concerns in the next 12 months. Just ship the tranny to me and I'll get it taken care of. You'd never know it was there on a test drive, but I'm a believer in karma and want to provide full disclosure on the car.

Nothing but the best in the car with tons of extras:
    • modern, sexy LED lights and sleek HID headlights, not floppy, unreliable tractor lights.
    • mechanical, cable throttle instead of the drive by wire - easier to heel toe and much more responsive. Extremely adjustable to fit your driving style.
    • no mechanical water pump, just an electric so you can run it after shutting the car down to cool the motor better and free up ~10 hp.
    • bluetooth headsets for passenger communication, cell phone calls, and music in the helmet.
    • oil temp and pressure gauge
    • shift lights on the dash moved to be much more visible than the factory lights.
    • glove box out of a sand rail
    • blind spot mirror
    • auto cancel turn signal (not installed)
    • accusump (not installed)
    • R6s off a race car (not installed)
    • V700s on the 15/17 setup (fenders don't fit - 225 up front and 275 in the back)
    • both HPS street pads and DTC-70 track pads
    • 76mm TB and port matched RRC intake
    • Head is a work of art - aftermarket oversized valves, dual springs good for 10,000 RPM, etc.
    • Kelford C Cams (with VTEC)
    • Hybrid Racing timing chain tensioner
    • ported oil pump (K20 oil pump, not the terrible K24 oil pump with balance shafts)
    • aftermarket mod to the #5 cam tower to move oil pressure to the back of the motor to better oil the head
    • 9500+ RPM redline with the balanced crank, forged rods, and lightweight forged pistons. I have the redline set to 8400 for longevity reasons.
    • ATI Superdamper
    • Tuned for California 91, likely 10-20rwhp in going to 93 or E85.
    • Battery tender
    • Factory car cover
    • Fire suppression
    • Roll bar
    • Exedy Stage 1 clutch - stock style, organic compound, full disk, sprung. Zero chatter, but ~35% better grip. Super, super easy to drive.
    • K20A lightweight flywheel. IIRC it's 9.8lbs

Right when I finished the car in 2012 I got a huge promotion at work and have been working 70-80 hour weeks prettymuch since so I've neglected the car for the last few years and have actually never done a track day on her - just a bit of driving in the hills. One of the reasons I'm thinking of selling is that the car just scares me at this point. It's mental how fast it is. When the VTEC switches to the big cam lobe (has aggressive aftermarket cams) at 5500 your helmet bounces off the seat and the seat actually flexes ~1/2" from the G-load. I just don't have enough seat time these days to comfortably handle the car on the street, and don't have enough time to get back into track days. As you can see from the video below, I'm super timid in the car.

To be clear, other than the motor and the bells and whistles, it's a stock AA3 - stock suspension (adjustable), stock wheels (15/17s), stock brakes (wilwoods), stock alignment/ride height, etc.

Will be sold with a brand new battery and all fluids brand new - oil, coolant, brake, and clutch. I just changed the oil last night after the track day. In 1700 miles it's had two oil changes with Amsoil break in oil, and three changes with VR1.

I have at least $80k in the car and hundreds of hours of work, research, and CA DMV headaches. Would love to see $69.9k as it's still really new.

Here's the dyno chart. Red is with the (terrible) factory air box setup. Blue is with a much better and straighter setup (6" filter into an 80mm velocity stack into a 76mm 45 degree pipe into my 76mm TB). Got the tune cleaned up last week. Idles perfectly at 1000 rpm with a bit of lope. I think there's a bit more in it, and certainly is on 93 (we have to pull timing for 91 at 12.5:1). With a new header, would get to 300+ and 200+ for sure. Can drop off the car to get a header built and tuned for it if the buyer wants - the best Honda header builder in America is 20 miles from me and he's 2 doors down from my tuner. This is also spinning much heavier 17x9s with 275/35/17s. Might put down 300rwhp with just a lighter wheel/tire

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pics:

build pics:

Last edited by Payne; August 30, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
    2011 Ariel Atom Not Supercharged
    2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged

Country
    United States
    Great looking build. I'm sure with 280 NA rwhp the car is an absolute blast to drive.
    FormanMotorWorks, LLC
    Phoenix, Arizona
    www.formanmotorworks.com

Electron
    Blog Entries
    Country
    United States
    where did you source those turn signals?

Country
    United States
    Interesting build. Would you be so kind as to post dyno chart?
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I built the turn signals myself with metal from home depot and motorcycle LEDs. Cut off the round lights and welded new bars to the stalks.

Here's the dyno chart. Red is with the (terrible) factory air box setup. Blue is with a much better and straighter setup (6" filter into an 80mm velocity stack into a 76mm 45 degree pipe into my 76mm TB). Getting a final tune done this week to get it perfect. I think there's a bit more in it, and certainly is on 93 (we have to pull timing for 91 at 12.5:1). With a new header, would get to 300+ and 200+ for sure. Can drop off the car to get a header built and tuned for it if the buyer wants - the best Honda header builder in America is 20 miles from me and he's 2 doors down from my tuner. This is also spinning much heavier 17x9s with 275/35/17s. Might put down 300rwhp with just a lighter wheel/tire

Last edited by Payne; August 17, 2014 at 11:05 PM.

Country
    United States
    That is a very nice power band. Thanks for posting it.

Eddie
    Eddie FourFather Hill
    Top Fuel Champion on land and water
    www.eddiehillsfuncycles.com since 1966
    Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Yamaha

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FourFather View Post
    That is a very nice power band. Thanks for posting it.

Eddie
    Thanks Eddie! With VTEC, VTC, big cams, and a good clean head (and a good tune) it's amazing what these motors are capable of with only 2.4L!

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    I did a shakedown track day at Laguna Seca yesterday. Car ran great and is super fun. More pics and video coming... was amazing through the corkscrew - super stable and even ran on 3 wheels on street tires.
    Last edited by Payne; August 29, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

Down Quark
    Country
    United States
    Love it, and love the lack of pressurization. Two questions:

1. Do you have the fenders?
    2. Can the rollbar be removed?

G.

Lepton
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by glashoppah View Post
    Love it, and love the lack of pressurization. Two questions:

1. Do you have the fenders?
    2. Can the rollbar be removed?

G.
    Yep, I went built NA to keep it simple, light, and fun.

1) yes. If you went to a 195 or 205 up front they'll bolt back on. If you go to a 245 they'll bolt on in the rear, or there are people that make aftermarket rear fenders good for up to a 295. (i'm running 225s and 275s)
    2) yes. 10 bolts total to remove, maybe 7 minutes tops.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast