Thread: Across the country in an Atom - 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour

Country
    United States

Across the country in an Atom - 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour

The 2014 Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour took place from June 5 through June 12. For those who aren't familiar with the event, it's a yearly event put on by Hot Rod Magazine that's equal parts road trip, car show, carnival, and road rally. This year's event lasted 7 days, with the group being in a different city each day. It began in Charlotte, NC and ended a week later in Wisconsin Dells, WI traveling through Knoxville TN, Charleston WV, Norwalk OH, Crown Point IN, and Bettendorf IA.

My total distance traveled for the event this year was 3000 miles over 10 days which is a bit more than what the official Tour route was because my buddy Jeff and I made a few side trips. FYI, the car was yellow for this year's event (Arlon vinyl wrap, hornet yellow metallic).

Charlotte NC was only about an hour from Alton VA, home of TMI AutoTech. In order to fit a visit into our schedule, we had to seriously haul. We did the driving from Wisconsin to Virginia in one shot with nothing but gas & snack stops, and it ended up being 19 hours behind the wheel. While at TMI, Mark Swain gave us the grand tour of the facility. If you'd like to see photos from that tour, you'll find them in my website gallery here.

Once there, I pulled a surprise on my buddy Jeff. He's been the co-driver for 5 Power Tour events so far, in addition to the trip I made to drive the car home from Brammo in Oregon, and that amounts to more than 10k miles behind the wheel. But during that time, he'd never had the opportunity to drive an Atom on the track. So I enrolled him in the half-day VIR Experience. Better TMI's car than mine. If you'd like to see more photos from TMI's half-day track experience, you can find them in my website gallery here.

The Power Tour is an amazing event that any auto enthusiast will enjoy. The yearly attendance by those driving the entire distance as well as spectators that attend one or two stops grows at an unbelievable rate. From the Hot Rod website:
    HOT ROD Power Tour records set this year include:
    5,828 registered vehicles came out to be a part of the fun
    2,071 of these made the entire weeklong trip as ‘Long Haulers’.
    3,000+vehicles attended each stop on the Power Tour
    15,000+ people attended the kickoff day in Charlotte(Concord), North Carolina
    3,497: 2014 Long Haul People on Tour
    100,500: 2014 Total Number of Spectators on Tour (approximately)

I had recently completed the addition of a Magnaflow exhaust to the Atom (see my gallery of fabrication here). Magnaflow was a Power Tour sponsor and extended me an invite to be a part of their display for the duration of the Tour. I can't say enough good things about them. Even got the opportunity to have a technical discussion with Rich, on of their main tech guys (and you've probably seen him if you watch the TV show Overhaulin'). Turns out he's worked on a few Atoms and had some great info and reccomendations to share.

The variety of cars in attendance is amazing.

The customs are something to behold, and each is even more cool when the owner is driving it across the country.

There are usually a handful of people we all recognize in attendance. Unfortunately, I missed out on meeting Richard Petty, but I did get a chance to meet and get autographs from a few others.

This was Rutledge Wood from Top Gear USA, and I believe he's a NASCAR commentator these days as well. The other photo is Vic Edlebrock Jr. and Christy Edlebrock.

This VW Beetle had just been in Hot Rod magazine.

Mothers Car Care Products was an event sponsor. Many of the cars in their vendor area were driven on the route, and one of them snapped a nice pic of us. They posted that pic and a few kind words on their website.

And the icing on the cake - not only did I get to meet Mario Andretti and get his autograph, he signed my car. Anyone have a guess as to which part (in my left hand in the 2nd photo)?

You can see the full photo gallery from this event on my website here. Prior year coverage/photos can be seen at the following links:
    2012 - my site gallery
    2010 - summary on other forum
    2009 - summary on other forum
    2008 - summary on other forum

With the completion of this trip, the Atom's odometer has just rolled over 20,000 miles in my 7 years of ownership so far. It continues to put a smile on my face the same way it did the day I first drove it home. I only hope that everyone else views their ride the same way. If not, it's worth find something to do with it that brings out the little kid in you.
    Last edited by Lane; July 1, 2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.

Country
    United States
    Looks like a great time! On the Arlon vinyl wrap, is that something you did yourself?

I've thought about using a wrap to change the color of my Atom. Once done with the wrap, can you remove it easily and how does the previous layer look once removed (any residue from the application process)?

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    looks like you had him sign the license plate backing

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jlester View Post
    On the Arlon vinyl wrap, is that something you did yourself?
    A person probably could. But for those of us that have never done it before, it would likely take some practice, extra vinyl, and a few tries. I did the wing endplates myself and this wrap is pretty flexible, durable, and forgiving. You can pull it off and re-stick it, you can use a heat-gun or torch to make it conform to odd surfaces or curves, etc. But the curved parts are where you want an expert, which is what I did to spare myself the frustration. I'm told that the rear snorkel cover was a challenge due to the complex curves. I had a local sign shop do the hood and snorkel cover and was glad I did. Pics of the process can be found here.

The Arlon wrap that I used was probably middle-of-the-road for quality. But stretch it too far as was needed for the snorkel cover, and you start to see slight variations in the color. Go a little beyond that, and it gets way too easy to create stretch marks or creases as it becomes much more delicate. The Arlon wrap was pretty inexpensive and cost me around $75 in materials to do all the parts that I did. But the shop did tell me that if I would have stepped up to a better quality wrap, it would have produced a slightly better result and reduced the labor needed to apply it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jlester View Post
    Once done with the wrap, can you remove it easily and how does the previous layer look once removed (any residue from the application process)?
    I ended up having to do the wing endplates twice. Removal of the wrap the first time took some effort as it's darn sticky, but it didn't leave any residue.

Quote Originally Posted by silver View Post
    looks like you had him sign the license plate backing
    Yes, it was the center rear plate. It was an extra I made and I haven't put it on the car yet. It's still in the house because I haven't yet researched what I need to do to preserve that signature done with the paint pen (clearcoat, clear vinyl, etc).

Silver - take a look at the wrap process photos in the link above. The hood should look a little familiar (thanks!).
    Ariel Atom 2, Ecotec 300, owner since 2007. Drive, Detail, Improve, Repeat. Visit my website.