Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brammo Honda Atom Exhaust Help!

Particle
    Country
    United States

Brammo Honda Atom Exhaust Help!

Hi all,

Apologize if this isn't in the right forum but given the limited audience I am trying to get as much exposure as possible. I just found out today that my Brammo Honda atom's exhaust header cracked all the way around on one of the pipes coming off of the engine flange. Heard some weird noises and hoped it was a loose bolt or an exhaust gasket, but apparently it's not. Can this be fixed or should I see if I can get a replacement manifold? The manifold is ugly and rusty as hell so I wouldn't mind sourcing a replacement to match my stainless muffler, I just don't know where. Should I call TMI? Ariel themselves? Please help!

Thanks,

Jan (US Gulf Atom)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mini viper View Post
    The manifold is ugly and rusty as hell so I wouldn't mind sourcing a replacement to match my stainless muffler, I just don't know where. Should I call TMI?
    Definitely call TMI. They may or may not have the individual components for that exhaust system (Brammo Hondas were quite rare). It might be necessary to replace more of the system (worst case, everything). However, I think there might still be differences between the Brammo and TMI mounting points that would need to be worked out.

The other alternative would be to have new part(s) fabbed by a race or specialty exhaust shop.

Country
    United States
    The stock Brammo exhausts were terrible. Mine cracked at the 4-1 collector. Hytech Exhaust in SoCal may still have the jig necessary to make Brammo Honda exhaust systems; give them a call.
    300hp K20A | "It'll never go, my dears! Not if he's had anything to do with it."

Country
    United States
    My Honda 4-1 Brammo header cracked in a couple places, the 2nd one did too. I eventually went with the Hytech model. It makes good power according to the dyno plot (especially when compared to the Brammo 4-1), but it took a while to get, it didn't fit the first time, and it was more expensive than what was previously quoted. That said, it's been trouble free since final installation and the muffler's actually pretty quiet too, until you mash the throttle pedal.

If you do get a Hytech, be sure to have the tune looked at if you intend to beat on the engine. The air/fuel was all over the place after swapping, but the early Brammo Hondas were delivered with a tunable ECU and we adjusted it on a dynamometer.

*edit* I think I still have the 3rd Brammo ram-horn if you need a stop gap to get you running again... PM me if you're interested and I'll see if I can find it.
    Last edited by McFred; June 30, 2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: additionally,

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    I will also offer advice that you should / could go to any local muffler shop and get it repaired / replaced, it's really just a civic motor so don't be scared.

If you know of a good local muffler / exhaust shop they will be able to fit you up, most importantly without the extreme upcharge of a hytech system ($2000 or more)

I say this with my experience of leaving my atom for 7 months with a fab shop who was trying to design an exhaust for the ecotecs, it turned out to be a solid exhaust but the welding looked elementary, and for what everyone paid it just left a bad tasted in people's mouths.....I think people would have been happier paying a local person to personally make the exhaust while on the car, that way there's no fitment issues, and you get exactly whatever you want.

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Thanks folks!!! I'm going to start with a local fabricator in town and see what he says. If that fails I'll call TMI or Hytech. I appreciate the leads even if some are expensive.

Here's a picture for appreciation!

Attached Images Attached Images

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Quick dumb question, how dangerous is it to drive around the way it is?

Country
    United States
    If you are going to replace the manifold anyway, then I think it would be more annoying than dangerous or harmful to the vehicle. However, if you are just planning on getting the crack welded up/repaired, then you may want to avoid driving it too much.

Neutrino
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by mini viper View Post
    Thanks folks!!! I'm going to start with a local fabricator in town and see what he says. If that fails I'll call TMI or Hytech. I appreciate the leads even if some are expensive.

Here's a picture for appreciation!

are you in Houston?

I think I saw Troy Dixon post a pic (maybe it was someone else) of your atom

There's going to be tons of locations who can fix you up if you are in fact in houston

Particle
    Country
    United States
    Yep, this was the Houston Performance Driving event I showed up at. Got a free photoshoot I rarely have specialty exhaust work done so if you have suggestions for Houston I'd much appreciate it. I've got more photos for anyone interested

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast