Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What kind of car does the atom kit car suppose to replicate?

  1. #1
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    68
    Country
    United States

    What kind of car does the atom kit car suppose to replicate?

    HI all,

    In my state (Hawaii), in order to get an atom registered on the road as a legal kit car (I do believe atom does sell them as kits, minus the engine) they have to resemble or replicate an already existing car which is legal for the road or once was legal for the road. It is total bull shit considering the types of cars they have which some how get passed but the atom is one which the Hawaii DOT has a hard on for to not pass. Is there any kind of car can a kit atom resembles?

  2. #2
    Particle
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33
    Country
    United States
    That is the same as the law in Texas now. I have looked and never found anything. If you find something, please let me know. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Neutrino MadMaxAtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Usually in my shop..
    Posts
    1,583
    Country
    United States
    The Atom may not "look" exactly like the Mercer Raceabout..but the Atom IS basically all about the same theme .."less is more"..

    1912MercerRaceabout_1000.jpg
    The power of an Atom is a terrible thing to waste! Atom owner/operator since 2007. The more you chase perfection,the faster it becomes. John Force for President! (I asked him once in person...he laughed)

  4. #4
    Neutron
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,677
    Country
    United States
    dug out an email from 2010. Toby tried for 3 years and he did get it registered. this was how he did it

    "Just thought I'd let you know that I officially now have the Atom registered in Hawaii. Hawaii title, Hawaii plates, Hawaii safety sticker. The trick was to get it registered in another state first, then bring the registration to the most sympathetic safety check station I could find for a blue slip, then register it with the DMV for the pink slip, then bring it back to the safety check station for the final sticker."


    Before this we put up a website dedicated to the original Ariel cars but apparently it did not work. He had to register out of state first.



    the high profile toy thrower

  5. #5
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    68
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bolus View Post
    dug out an email from 2010. Toby tried for 3 years and he did get it registered. this was how he did it

    "Just thought I'd let you know that I officially now have the Atom registered in Hawaii. Hawaii title, Hawaii plates, Hawaii safety sticker. The trick was to get it registered in another state first, then bring the registration to the most sympathetic safety check station I could find for a blue slip, then register it with the DMV for the pink slip, then bring it back to the safety check station for the final sticker."





    Before this we put up a website dedicated to the original Ariel cars but apparently it did not work. He had to register out of state first.




    Unfortunately that may be false. The DOT said they have never registered an atom in Hawaii and will not without a letter from the national highway safety administration with crash test info on the car even if it was registered in another state first as a fully built/finished car. I talked with one person which did bring in an atom 3 years ago and they could not get it registered (the guy had like 15 Ferraris and had lawyers working on it and just could not get it done). If you do have Toby's info/contact, could you please forward that to me, I would love to talk with him.

  6. #6
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    68
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingThunder View Post
    That is the same as the law in Texas now. I have looked and never found anything. If you find something, please let me know. Good luck.

    How does FourFather (Eddie Hill) get the atoms he sell's road legal in Texas now a days if that is the case? He was one of the people I would consider buying from.

  7. #7
    Particle
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    33
    Country
    United States
    I am in the process of buying my Atom now from Eddie. He can correct me if I am wrong, but I think registration is up to the buyer. The law in Texas changed in the last year or so, making it more difficult (frankly, I think impossible). I have resigned myself to the fact that this will be a track only car.

  8. #8
    Particle
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    30
    Country
    United States
    Don't think Eddie does much to help people register their cars. The guy I bought my atom from moved to Hawaii, which is why he sold it...

  9. #9
    Neutron
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,677
    Country
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfd View Post
    Unfortunately that may be false. The DOT said they have never registered an atom in Hawaii and will not without a letter from the national highway safety administration with crash test info on the car even if it was registered in another state first as a fully built/finished car. I talked with one person which did bring in an atom 3 years ago and they could not get it registered (the guy had like 15 Ferraris and had lawyers working on it and just could not get it done). If you do have Toby's info/contact, could you please forward that to me, I would love to talk with him.
    Yeah, and I had to argue with the DMV worker in oregon about the existence of the race activity vehicle law. I dont trust what any DMV worker has to say. The next DMV over may say fine. They are mostly lying angry sacks of sociopathic crap that get off on telling people what they cant do.

    that being said, if I move to Hawaii, I have no plans to try and attempt to register.
    the high profile toy thrower

  10. #10
    Fermion
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    68
    Country
    United States
    do you think I could make up enough evidence that the atom is suppose to resemble a plymouth prowler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •